D Conner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
D Conner

I have an 02 F350 7.3 I am getting over max IPR reading when under a load. It only does this when it is programed for heavy tow. I am using a Super Chip tuner. The engine has new injector pump, fuel pressure regulator, ICP sensor, and IPR valve. Does any one have any ideas as to why it is only doing this when it is programed? When it is not programed all readings are normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not sure where your getting a over max IPR reading but it's common for the SES to go off for ICP during heavy acceleration while running a tune. It's usually caused by the HPOP not keeping up with demand but it doesn't really anything. You should hook up a good scanner and check ICP and IPR duty cycle. That would help us to narrow it down.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The reading was taken with a Ford mechanic sitting beside me in my truck with all of his equipment set up. I was pulling an 8000 lb trailer at the time. The pressure was still climbing when he told me to back off
Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

Still need to know what IPC and duty cycle are. The duty cycle will show how restrictive the IPR is being and the IPC will show if it's still getting flow. Could be a bad connection, bad part or a bad mechanic since you don't have a injector pump.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it's not an injector pump, what is it called? On the parts list it reads pump assembly-fuel injection. I don't have the information on duty cycle. What ever duty cycle is it was never mentioned during the testing
Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

The 7.3 is a HEUI injection system, injection pumps didn't show up in the powerstroke till the 6.4 and 6.7. You have two mechanical oil pumps and a electric fuel pump. It's possible that your mechanic meant the HPOP or High Pressure Oil Pump which contains the IPR and is what ICP measures. It kinda sounds like your mechanic doesn't understand how the 7.3 works and how a tuner affects ICP. Here is some info on how it works.

Your ICP should be about 500 at idle and can go over 3000 with good tuning and a strong HPOP. IPR will vary depending on demand and health of the HPOP. It is common for tuners to call for 3000+ psi at WOT Wide Open Throttle and the stock HPOP not keep up. This would set a SES Service Engine Soon light that clears after a few minutes. It doesn't harm anything, just means you aren't getting 100% out of your tune.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On the injection pump issue, I am only going on what Ford calls it. My main concern is the fact that my ck eng lt comes on and stays on when programed and under a load when it didn't before I had the work done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.