HELP ! ! ! 2001 F-350 Shaking, Trying to stay alive NO SMOKE!!! (No CEL) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HELP ! ! ! 2001 F-350 Shaking, Trying to stay alive NO SMOKE!!! (No CEL)

Alright guys, Ive got a stupid question, but then again my coffee hasn't kicked in... I got woke up by a buddy of mine calling to offer me an '01 F-350 Crew Cab, Short bed, 7.3, Auto, 4x4 (with 430K ALL HIGHWAY MILES... used to tour the country pulling a 17" travel trailer - full service records since left the dealership floor - Meticulously maintained)

100% stock condition still....

Asking Price: $2500.00

So I went to look at it (his dads old truck, been sitting for 6 months since his passing)---- Yes, properly stored... fluids drained, we refiled with fresh oil, coolant, fuel, and replaced ALL the filters... (so not any of the obvious (even left the truck running for 15 min to count out air in the fuel lines.

Beautiful truck cosmetically... here's the problems and I wanna get some info on it before I decide to buy it... or if you guys think its a good deal in this condition.. as I want a new toy.. and my wife says my "good hubby gift" is about due again...

The truck struggled to start... but when she fired she loped really really bad, and vibrated the entire truck, sounded like she was trying to run the entire motor off one cyl. struggling to stay "lit"

theres NO SMOKE of any kind coming from the truck (white or any color) when you give her fuel the RPM's go up, and so does the Vibration frequency....Kinda feels like shes trying to shake herself to death.

NO CEL either...

Ill post a link to a video (youtube) here later today if it will help anybody with actually seeing or hearing the problem

Im thinking it needs an Injector job, and while Im there I would just swap the glow plugs and the relays also.

If it is injectors should I swap all 8 (due to mileage) or just the affected ones?

anything else you would recommend that I do if I get this truck???

And how hard is it do the replacement yourself vs. a mechanic?

Last edited by GunnyRappUSMC; 07-31-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added missing info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Help... Bump a brotha... Lol
Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It really sounds like a rodent may chewed one of the wires going into the valve cover harness. Thats the way mine acted when the valve cover harness needed replaced
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 AM

start thinking simple... do you live in a hot climate? could just have bacteria in the fuel.. i would jump on it... worst case you put a long block swap in it, best case fuel filter and some good conditioner cleaner might run like a champ
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Does it sound like THIS? -> http://www.youtube.com/v/GHwjEfJtM_g&hl
Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine started to do this after it ran out of fuel. any thoughts? its at the local shop here in duluth but they dont have a clue whats going on. i was thinking maybe injectors. because i did try to start it after it ran out. like a dumbass. ha. any other thoughts would be much appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

To 99 powerstroke... The 99+ psd dont loose prime in the injectors like the old idi psd's i would look into replacing your fuel filters first... If u ran it dry odds are u sucked up some crap off the bottom of the tank and u got plugged filters... Just the easiest cheapest place to start looking... Make sure to check the in tank strainer also... Yea.. I ran mine dry once and it took a day or so to get running right again....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

To the rest of the thread... Hooked it to my bullydog programmer (just to pull codes) no codes being thrown... Got out my handy lazer temp gun... All exhaust temps off the passenger side were 98 - 125
(at idle) driver side were 250 - 360...

Im thinking a bad harness in the pass side hats the only way all 4 injectors would be out at the same time...

Pretty good diagnosis?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
AHA.... I see your from Idaho...

Either buy it or give me the phone number

Even if it needs an engine its a good deal IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hard idle, hard start, injectors, no smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.