Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine loud wistle/squeal

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  BB77 
#1 ·
I read past post about this but was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they did to correct it.

I have a 2001 7.3 225000 miles.
Only under a load does it wistle or squeal so loud it makes you want to pull over. It happens when the truck down shifts but as soon as you let off the accelerator it quits and it mostly happens in warm to hot weather. At first i thought it was the transmission, but now that i have read some post i am leaning towards the belt. Has anyone changed the belt, tensioner, water pump pully and had sucess at solving this? Also someone metioned fan clutch?

If anyone could give me some info I would appreciate it, I"m getting ready to leave on vacation and pulling my camper I would love to have this taken care of before I left. Thanks :icon_ford:

#2 ·
Ok, I guess i am the only one with this problem. Here is some more info hopefully someone can help me out. :dunno:

I pulled my camper and it seems to make the noise when the truck is running in warm to hot weather when it down shifts on a hill or to pass. Also at this time the fan clutch seems to cycle alot. When i drove at night it did not seem to happen as much. I dont know for sure how the fan clutch is suppose to work, or if it could not be working right. Because it does not seem to make the noise if the fan clutch does not cycle.

If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks

#5 ·
I have had an intermittent squeal also in a 97 F-350 4X4. I have changed both idler pulleys, belt tensioner (2X), belt (4X), alternator (with pulley), water pump (2X), vacuum pump, vacuum pump pulley (2X), power steering pump, and cleaned the belts and pulleys MULTIPLE times. I am getting tired of throwing money at this thing.

My squeal comes in under power and at about 1600 RPM and goes away when the truck shifts to the next gear. I am at a loss and am needing to get this thing ironed out. Hope this helps or maybe something you have done can help me out.
Thanks all!

#7 ·
I've had this same problem.... Only under load of accelerating from rolling slow speeds with no AC on.... I read it could be turbo boots with a crack or tear or exhaust up pipe leak??? Not sure.... Anyone?

#8 ·
Make sure your guys turbos are on the fringe of blowing, with all of this squeeling your hearing under high boost. Check the compressor blades and shaft.

#10 ·
Pull the intake and look at the blades and grab it to check shaft play.

#11 ·
is there power loss or does it feel like trans might semi slip? i heard from someone who had a 7.3 that their truck had a similar problem and replacing the torque converter solved his issues.

#12 ·
Mine only does it at random times mostly when it's hot 100 plus out... But like I said its random I can't make my truck make the noise it just happens every so often... Would a sticky waste gate do that? Ive got all new riffraff boots on and I'm going to check boost lines and everything else again to be sure

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
To answer your question I don't feel power lose when it happens

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#14 ·
Engine squeal under power

Before anyone takes a trans out or anything drastic.... try removing the fan and clutch. Try that and see if the noise goes away, mine did.

On removing the fan it hurts nothing since the fan is just spun onto the water pump shaft itself. You will probably have to remove the upper radiator hose and fan shroud to get the fan and clutch out though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.