Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 Powerstroke Loss of Power and change in engine "tone"

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jhogan2424 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to get some advice from the Pros on this great site. I have had my 2000 F350 for 5 years now and have had very little trouble from the truck. I bought it with 80K and now has 230K. Lately I have had a problem with the truck losing power when accelerting. It is intermitent and usually happens just after taking of at a stop sign etc. The truck will lose a lot of power and accelerate very slowly for a couple of seconds and then suddenly snap back to normal. When it loses power the engine also gets very quiet and dosesn't chatter like it normally does. It doesn't jerk or act goofy, it just accelerates very slowly and smoothly even with the pedal on the floor and then like I said it snaps back to normal and takes off. I am nothing of a diesel mechanic and only know of basic maitenance etc. so go easy on me. This has been the best truck I have ever owned and really don't want to buy another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

#4 ·
Thanks so much for the help. I live in a very small Arkansas town and nobody close to me has the ability to scan a Powerstroke. I have to drive an hour and leave the truck over night to get a scan. The truck has been acting like this for about a month without the check engine light ever coming on so is it possible a scan could still show an issue without the light on? Thanks, Jason

#5 ·
Yes. Not all codes will throw a light.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#6 ·
So I ran into a small bit of luck today. A friend of a friend had a Superchips programmer that doubles as a code reader for my 7.3. He slapped it on for me this morning and it showed two different codes. The first one is P1670 and the second one is P1211. The scanner does not go into detail concerning the codes and only gives the numbers I just listed so I have no idea what they mean. I am going to do a search and see what I can find. Has anyone run into these particular codes before?

#7 ·
I'm not familiar that close with the codes off the top of my head but a google search always turns up lots of info.

The 1211 is ebpv if I remember right, which can be caused by a chip.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#9 ·
It almost sounds like your ebpv is sticking.. when it's running right, unplug your ebpv plug and see if that helps out. It would be free to try.. just a thought.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
I did a search and found that EBPV stands for Exhaust Back Pressure Valve and I understand the basic function of the valve but I do not know where on the engine it is located. Can you give me an idea and maybe a description of what it looks like so I know what to look for?

#11 ·
It'd basically a butterfly valve in the turbo pedestal designed to create back pressure for quicker warm ups and such.

The plug for it is on the turbo pedestal right beneath the red and green lines that run to your waste gate.

Just pull the plug and take it for a spin!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#12 ·
Well the issue with the truck has finally been solved. A few days prior to this problem I had my oil changed. It turns out that the wrong weight oil was used due to a newby at that shop. I had no idea that the oil could affect the truck the way it did. After I argued with a mechanic that the oil could not be the problem, I finally caved in and changed it like he told me to. He was exactly right. After the oil was replaced, the truck runs like new again. I am hoping that there is no damage to the engine because of this. I found this whole thing about the oil hard to believe and thought I would share it with everyone with hopes that it may help someone else out there. Thanks to each and every person that had a suggestion for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.