2000 Powerstroke Loss of Power and change in engine "tone" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Powerstroke Loss of Power and change in engine "tone"

Looking to get some advice from the Pros on this great site. I have had my 2000 F350 for 5 years now and have had very little trouble from the truck. I bought it with 80K and now has 230K. Lately I have had a problem with the truck losing power when accelerting. It is intermitent and usually happens just after taking of at a stop sign etc. The truck will lose a lot of power and accelerate very slowly for a couple of seconds and then suddenly snap back to normal. When it loses power the engine also gets very quiet and dosesn't chatter like it normally does. It doesn't jerk or act goofy, it just accelerates very slowly and smoothly even with the pedal on the floor and then like I said it snaps back to normal and takes off. I am nothing of a diesel mechanic and only know of basic maitenance etc. so go easy on me. This has been the best truck I have ever owned and really don't want to buy another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

Last edited by jhogan2424; 07-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to mention that this happens at all times throughout the day no matter the temperature of the engine etc. Thanks, Jason
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sounds like the back pressure tube maybe clogged up and the back pressure sensor maybe bad.... just a suggestion get a mechanic to put a scanner on your truck to diagnose your truck first
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks so much for the help. I live in a very small Arkansas town and nobody close to me has the ability to scan a Powerstroke. I have to drive an hour and leave the truck over night to get a scan. The truck has been acting like this for about a month without the check engine light ever coming on so is it possible a scan could still show an issue without the light on? Thanks, Jason
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes. Not all codes will throw a light.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I ran into a small bit of luck today. A friend of a friend had a Superchips programmer that doubles as a code reader for my 7.3. He slapped it on for me this morning and it showed two different codes. The first one is P1670 and the second one is P1211. The scanner does not go into detail concerning the codes and only gives the numbers I just listed so I have no idea what they mean. I am going to do a search and see what I can find. Has anyone run into these particular codes before?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not familiar that close with the codes off the top of my head but a google search always turns up lots of info.

The 1211 is ebpv if I remember right, which can be caused by a chip.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i notice on a few programmers i seen they only able to scan just a few codes (if i'm not correct on this information please correct me), i got a mechanic with a Snap On scanner to scan mine which gave more codes then my programmer gave me.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It almost sounds like your ebpv is sticking.. when it's running right, unplug your ebpv plug and see if that helps out. It would be free to try.. just a thought.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did a search and found that EBPV stands for Exhaust Back Pressure Valve and I understand the basic function of the valve but I do not know where on the engine it is located. Can you give me an idea and maybe a description of what it looks like so I know what to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.