Hard starting/Ruff running on startup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard starting/Ruff running on startup

1999 7.3 It takes a lot of cranking to finally get it to start, once started it runs ruff for 15 to 45 seconds and then runs fine until you try and start it again and it's the same process all over again. I replaced the fuel filter for s**ts and giggles nothing changed. Changed the oil thinking it was bad nothing changed. I do not think its fuel related but I don't know for sure it seems to me the injectors are not getting the right pressure to pop off. This is the first diesel I've owned so I'm learning as I go and this is past my knowledge level any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool Same Year Same Issue

I also have a 1999 7.3 and I have the same issue. I think it might be battery. Tried same as you with same results. It takes a while to start, I go fuel up, takes me 10 min drive to get to the station. After fueling it cranks for a LONG time no start. Then finally does get going. Run another 20 min its ok the rest of the day. Next day same issue unless Im using it all the time.

I think partially battery related and have read several posts here saying replace the GPR (glow plug relay). I get a clicking sound also when it hasnt been run in a while sounds like the fuel pump pressurising the system.

Will follow this thread, hope we can both get some help. Im new here also from So Cal too.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I bought the truck it needed glow plugs so it got em and I naturally replaced the relay so that's not the problem. The trucks sitting in Illinois were I'm from and it hit 120 with the heat index so it being cold cant be it. It started in 20 degree weather without it being plugged in. It starts the same every time weather its 2 days between start ups or 30 seconds. Battery could be it maybe, but it still sounds like its cranking normal speed. and mine don't run like that for no more then a minute tops, but did run ruff longer then normal after filling it up all the way.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I have same problem, wtf!! Im honna scan my truck tomorrow to see if i can find problem!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Please post the results of the scan. I tried plugging mine in but my OBDII port is not working properly (least of my problems at the moment).
Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 AM

Well i ordered the aeroforce scan gauge and it will be here today so lets see how it works, lots of guys swear by it!!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 PM

scanned truck today and came up with these

P0603
P1211
P0541

Havent driven truck in almost 2 weeks, if i start it and drive it a few blocks and shut it off i have to let it sit for hours before itll fire back up!! I ran a buzz test and dont really know what im looking for but test came back without codes, not sure what else i need to look for or address!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.