Water in fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water in fuel

I own a 2001 F250 A/T 4X4 with about 112000 miles on it which I bought new. I am constantly draining my fuel filter of what I believe is water because my truck starts running horribly. After draining it it runs fine. I put an anti-gel in which barely helps. My concern is my injectors or other important parts being exposed to water, what can I do or what problems down the road could result? Any ideas would be appreciated. By the way I am the newby and glad to be here. Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 07:23 PM

I just had a similar problem. It turned out to be my fuel pump.

Last edited by jdavey5454; 07-12-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Old 07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnutim
I own a 2001 F250 A/T 4X4 with about 112000 miles on it which I bought new. I am constantly draining my fuel filter of what I believe is water because my truck starts running horribly. After draining it it runs fine. I put an anti-gel in which barely helps. My concern is my injectors or other important parts being exposed to water, what can I do or what problems down the road could result? Any ideas would be appreciated. By the way I am the newby and glad to be here. Tim
Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Usually the cause of water in fuel that doesnt clear up after draining the fuel bowl is water in the tank. Anti gel will not remove water, it just prevents gelling during cold temps.....

My best guess is you got a bad tank of fuel and you have some water in the tank. you have reason to worry injector wise because prolonged exposure to water could cause problems. I would start by first buying a product such as "heat" that is a water solvent...built to specifically remove water from the tank. Make sure whatever brand it is says that its compatable with diesel fuel....hopefully this takes care of the problem. If it gets better but still happens, re treatment may be required....

If this doesnt resolve it, the tank will probably have to be dropped and cleaned. I would reccomend putting a factory sending unit in at this time so that the pre filters also get changed...its one of those "if your there u might as well do it" things......the old fuel will need to be disposed of to not risk re contamination and the tank thouroghly cleaned and dryed before re instillation. The fuel filter should be also changed at this time if it comes to this along with the fuel bowl being drained agian.....
Old 07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavey5454
less common, but that is another possiblility......
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies

I may have to have my tank removed and cleaned if the "Heat" doesn't work. I also found that I hate buying fuel from certain stations, such as Safeway they are the worst. I started going to a certain Circle K here in western Washington State and have had better luck with their diesel.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good info. I recently purchased a 2000 Powerstroke and it seems like whenever the truck is hot, the water in fuel sensor goes nuts. Draining the bowl doesn't seeme to help, just waiting a little and "magic" seems to clear the problem.

In what order would you start troubleshooting the issue? I have run three tanks of Fuel through the truck, the first came with the truck, the second from an unkown station and the third, when I finally wised up, from a station that everyone here uses.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:36 PM

any luck with your problem? i was just courious
Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well....

I am not having any luck with "Heet" and I may have to drop my tank and have it cleaned or drain it and put a new fuel filter in it because my poor truck is running like garbage.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Marc

I was told on DieselStop that I shouldn't use heet for my diesel truck is this true or just another opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.