Rear main and oil pan leaking?!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear main and oil pan leaking?!?!

I have a 2002 7.3 and have had an oil leak for awhile. I recently had the rear main replaced which the mechanic said was leaking. It was leaking and he even showed me where the seal had failed. So after I brought it home, I noticed its still leaking about the same. The mechanic thinks that the oil pan is leaking.
When he replaced the rear main, he had to borrow the tool (since these seldom fail, he doesn't own one) from Ford. Turns out the tool was missing parts so he cobbled together what he needed to get it installed.
My question is, what is the likelihood that both the rear main and oil pan are puking? I think that the rear main just got messed up on install due to the tool not being compete. Anybody have any thoughts? The truck only has 1205xx miles on it.
-Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, forgot to mention that its not leaking from anywhere up top. Both the mechanic and I have checked. The valley is dry and there is no oil on the back of the pedestal or the heads.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Easiest thing to do before getting too involved is purchase an oil dye kit. It comes with the dye and light so you can visually see where it's leaking from, usually without a doubt.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what the mechanic is doing and unfortunately he is saying that he can't see exactly where it is. Basically when he shines the light up into the bellhousing, the whole thing lights up. Which is exactly what he saw when he determined that it was the rear main which makes me think maybe it was messed up on install. But he seems certain he didn't damage the seal even though the install tool wasn't right.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had a o ring go out on my hpop and it was making it look like it was leaking from the oil pan. It was leaking down the back of the motor, but there was some in the valley. I had to go to a couple guys before my buddies dad figured it out.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Turned out my oil pan was leaking too. First mechanic took out the tranny thinking he was going to have to warranty the rear main and it was dry. He could see the hole in the oil pan sealant. Then I had to have it flat bedded over to a dealer to have that done since the mechanic I was at, yes a diesel mechanic, did not have an engine stand or engine hoist big enough to handle my engine. So anyway, got both fixed under my extended warranty. Big relief that it was covered since it was a $1600 job.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Very rare to hear of a pan gasket and a rear main actually being the issue.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Agreed. Not sure i would have believed it if i hadn't seen the rear main and had the pan leak confirmed by two different shops.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Very rare to hear of a pan gasket and a rear main actually being the issue.
Really? My truck had a leak at the pan and rear main. I've also inspected several other 7.3s with a leaking pan near the rear of it.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 AM

Most of the time it's the turbo pedestal o-rings leaking when you see oil down the back of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.