2002 7.3 L will not start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 L will not start

I have a 2002 F250 with a 7.3 liter engine that will not start. I need some help.! To give you some background... the truck was parked for two years. We changed the fuel filter and started it up. It ran very smooth. We took it for a 10 mile trip down to the car wash and when we returned it sounded like it was missing. While we were listening to it, it decided to stop. We let it sit for a few minutes and then re-started it... still missing and eventually stopped after a few minutes. I took out the new fuel filter for inspection. The filter was clean and there appears to be no water or contamination of any sort in the bowl. I've worked with commercial sized diesel engines but I know nothing about the Ford diesel engines. Can someone please advise where I should start the troubleshooting process. A step-by-step process would be great.
Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to mention, at this point it will not start. It does have smoke when cranking it over and it sounds like it is firing on one or two cylinders but not enough there to start the engine.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, I was reading your post and I couple help but notice that you didn't say when the last time the oil was changed. Was the tank full of diesel when it was parked?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do a search for UVCH.
That is where i would start.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Under valve cover gaskets have been a problem for me twice now but the truck has always run with te passenger or driver side out. Even if one is unplygged yhe yruck will still start. It will run like crap but itll start... i havent ever had a cps issue but that would be my guess. Does the tach move when you try go turn it over??
Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDye01 View Post
Under valve cover gaskets have been a problem for me twice now but the truck has always run with te passenger or driver side out. Even if one is unplygged yhe yruck will still start. It will run like crap but itll start... i havent ever had a cps issue but that would be my guess. Does the tach move when you try go turn it over??
I heard on the 02s that the tach won't move until it starts up.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM

It doesnt have to be just one bank that shuts off.
They are easy and free to diagnose so that is where I would start.

I'm not sayin it isnt a CPS, IPR, fuel pickup in tank, ICP, or IDM.

just the first place I would start.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey, great to see lots of replies so quickly. I'm liking this forum already:-)
I don't know when the oil was last changed. The engine oil level is right to the FULL line and the fuel gage shows 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Are you pulling my leg? What does oil change interval or fuel tank level have to do with the issue? The tach does move when I try to start the engine.
Sorry, but the acronyms are throwing me for a loop! What are UVCH, CPS, IPR, ICP, and IDM, and could you please provide a bit more detail.
I don't think there is a problem with fuel delivery from the tank, i.e., with the fuel filter removed and the key ON, there is good flow of clean diesel going into the filter bowl. If nothing else, I would expect this to be at least enough fuel to start the engine.
Thanks again for the support from fellow users.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker0920 View Post
I heard on the 02s that the tach won't move until it starts up.
That's right, and some '01's too. There was an electrical upgrade during the '01 run and, if you have a trans temp gauge in the cluster, you have this upgrade. So, an '01 with the gauge and ALL '02/03's will NOT show cranking rpm.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHardrGoHome View Post
Hey, great to see lots of replies so quickly. I'm liking this forum already:-)
I don't know when the oil was last changed. The engine oil level is right to the FULL line and the fuel gage shows 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Are you pulling my leg? What does oil change interval or fuel tank level have to do with the issue? The tach does move when I try to start the engine.
Sorry, but the acronyms are throwing me for a loop! What are UVCH, CPS, IPR, ICP, and IDM, and could you please provide a bit more detail.
I don't think there is a problem with fuel delivery from the tank, i.e., with the fuel filter removed and the key ON, there is good flow of clean diesel going into the filter bowl. If nothing else, I would expect this to be at least enough fuel to start the engine.
Thanks again for the support from fellow users.
UVCH-Under valve cover harness
CPS-Cam position sensor
IPR-Injector pressure regulator
ICP-Injection control pressure sensor
IDM-Injector Drive Module
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.