Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Starts and shuts off

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PDR60 
#1 ·
Hello I would like to first say thank you for all the help this site has given me since I bought my Powerstoke.

My problem is on first start up of the day the truck will start fine but idle for about a second and shut off. Then its a real pain to get started it will just crank and crank and I have to press the throttle to get it started again. If I give it a little throttle right as soon as it starts up on the first try it will sometimes stay running but I really hate giving it any throttle on start up. The rest of the day it starts fine.

This has been a problem for about a year but it would only happen when the truck sat for days now its every morning.

Info/background:
Its a 00' with 214,000 on it. Runs great. Glow plugs are less the 10 months old had same problem prior to replacing them. Fuel filter is due to be changed(15k on it) and will be done this week.
Normal mods, 4" turbo back exhaust, 6637 filter, ATS turbo housing, DP tuner. Bought the truck bone stock at 198,000. Problem existed then but but was only when the truck sat for days.

Any direction would be great.
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a loss-of-prime issue. Admittedly I'm not yet familiar enough with the 7.3 to know if that's a common problem, but in the Duramax world I've been living in, it's fairly common. Usually a leak somewhere in the fuel system, before the injection pump.

#4 ·
Loss of prime is what my thought was but not sure how to check it. It did seem better after I the fuel filter for a few days, but now a few weeks later it is back to the same thing. I even installed the Riff-Raff FRx over the weekend(not to fix the problem but just to make sure my injectors are happy) and it didn't make a difference.

#5 ·
The method I know of, to diagnose a loss of prime issue, is to buy a new fuel filler cap, drill a hole in it for an air fitting, and pressurize the tank to 10psi. Then, using a spray bottle with soapy water, spray the entire low pressure side of the fuel system to look for bubbles. If you find bubbles, it's a sign of the pressurized air leaking out, and you've found your leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.