oil leak, looking for suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak, looking for suggestions

99' 7.3.
i have an oil leak, again. it only leaks when the engine is running. it can sit on the drive for weeks with no oil spots, but crank it up and it will start dripping. its not crazy, but its enough to notice.
i recently, last year, pulled the engine out, to replace a rusted oil pan. while it was out i changed most of the gaskets and seals. the only one i didnt change was the rear main. due to needing a special tool i couldnt locate locally. i have a seal, but not the tool.
once back together everything was great but then after running for a short while, this leak started.
I suspect the rear main, since it appears to be leaking out the inspection cover, but its so hard to trace oil leaks down on this engine, since so many chanels and grooves oil can work down before finally becoming visible.
since it only leaks when running, i dont think the oil pan seal is bad.
if i have to pull the tranny and change it, i will, trans needs pulling anyway since also leaking. (gotta love it) but sourcing the tool is hard.
but looking for other suggestions. since i started researching on here and suddenly not sure.
turbo pedastal? maybe? i did replace the o-rings but i know it is tricky to get the turbo back on and not disturb the seals.
anything else anyone can suggest? since its only leaking when engine is running, it does eliminate a lot of the usual suspects...
just want to eliminate the easy fixes first before taking on the rear main. also anyone know if you can get this tool or is it only really at dealers?

thanks

Last edited by Unclebobsuncle; 06-12-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's an interesting video, BUT I have to warn you about this guy,,,, he makes Great Videos, that Does NOT make him infallible though. He's got some really GOOFY theories (not about this though) So, don't take him as your Guru, as many do Confirm his advice on anything else he says

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks.
He does ramble a bit. But I didn't even think about the valley drain hole.
That opens up so many more suspects. I'd put money on the HOP though. Dismissed it since was at front but now guess I'm getting the degreaser out.
Still. There's hope yet that main seal is good.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what tool for a rear main seal? I guess the sleeve pressed on the crank could be hard to get off? seal is easy
Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 PM

My truck was leaking oil and I thought it was the rear main. I was very close to having someone replace it. It turned out that the oil was leaking from the High pressure oil injector pump. It sits on the back of the motor close to the top. It leaks down and looks like a rear main leak. I had it re-oringed for $300. I was told it was a bandaid. That the pump can not be completely rebuilt that a few new rubber o-rings would hopefully stop the leaking. The new pump is like $800 (dealer price) or $400 (aftermarket on ebay). They wanted a few hundred to replace.
Good luck.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Ok. Now I'm a little confused. You have 7.3 yeah? What oil pump ? My HOP is mounted on top the engine at front. Driven by timing gear. I don't recall there being a pump at back. Only thing back there that I think is the leak is the turbo pedestal. I can't see it fully but looks gunky. The valley is clean all along engine still. Except back there.
Thought about popping off inspection cover but have a feeling it won't reveal much as I'm sure oil is being tossed all around bell housing and doubt be able to narrow it down
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a similar problem with my truck...It only leaks when it runs, it can sit for days and nothing but maybe one drop that was already hanging on to the torque converter cover
Old 06-30-2012, 04:32 AM

It is most likely not ur rear mAin. There is a drain hole in the back of the engine valley. So most likely ur hpop has a leak or on the crossover lines is leaking. But it's probably not ur rear main. That drain hole sends the leaking oil that collects in the valley down the back side of the engine makeing it look like a rear main. But rear mains are not common at all to go on these engines. Could be pedestal o rings also

Sent from a Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.