Newbie having issues stalls under 1/2 tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie having issues stalls under 1/2 tank

Hi there and great forum. I am new to the diesel world, but will be knee deep in it soon. I just purchased a 1995 Ford Super Duty "Incomplete Truck" with the 7.3 DI Turbo. The rear tank was removed, as it was connected to the wrecker bed that was on it, and the lines were plugged with a bolt, and a screw driver!? The return line on the front tank had a crack in it, but was not leaking. I checked everything as thoroughly as possible before purchasing, and it looks to be in great condition, albeit high mileage and bad jerry riggin.(306,000mi) The truck ran great for the first 130 miles. As soon as I got below half tank (and on a hill) the truck lost power and started to decelerate. I pulled over and found out there was air in the line (purged at the schrader valve on the drivers' side) and after getting the air out, it ran great. I pulled in to the next fuel station, and filled up. The truck ran great, until I got below 1/2 tank. same thing. I pulled over, started going down in the gears and held the throttle to the floor, and it kept alive (barely) for about 1.5-2 miles and it slowly began to come back to life. This routine happened once more before I started to fill up every 100mi. Also, unrelated, what is the big hose going into the top of the tank, and what is the name of the part that goes into the tank? I need to mount the rear tank, and that part is broken. Thanks for any help.
Dan Beyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

i would definately look at that line you said was cracked but not leaking...sounds to me like its leaking, just not the way you can see. When the tank gets lower and lower, the fuel system has to work harder to pull the fuel out. If that crack is allowing air to enter the system, that would explain your problem......i would also check the fuel pump in the valley to make sure it isnt leaking and drawing the air.......

I guess im not sure what hose you were asking about.....the only big one i can think of is the hose for the filler neck.....
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
PIPE HITTER

Hey Dan welcome to the forum.

Good luck on that rig, it does sound like something very minor.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys, I have fixed the hose, I will check the lift pump in the morning. As for the big hose I was refering to, it is just behind the fuel lines (toward the frame rail) and is about 1" in Dia. and is connected to a white "thing" that goes into the tank. Looks like an accumulator or something. Thanks for any help, you guys are great.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 PM

Also, what is a Ford SuperDuty? (i.e. F250 F350 F450??) Sorry to sound so naive, first diesel. Thanks again
Dan Beyer
Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

the only 1" diameter hose i can think of is the breather for the tank during fill up.....

A superduty is any f250-550 built from modle year 1999 to presant....
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Infidel

Hi Dan and welcome to the site,
I believe I read where you said you were "new to diesels", if this is the case get a spare CPS (cam position sensor) and keep a 10mm socket and ratchet with you. The CPS is a part that can go out with no warning, the truck just shuts down and that's it until it is replaced, sometimes they give warnings they are going such as shuting down but restarting when the truck has sat for a while. One indication is trying to turn the truck over and the tach doesn't move.
It is relatively easy to change, the part is located in the front of the engine towards the bottom and held in place with a bracket and 10mm bolt. Can be changed in 10-15 minutes. Check on ebay for them or International dealership in you area:
Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-A 97+
(International) 1821720C99 (below engine 375548)
(International) 1825899C93 (above engine 375548)
Also, a spare fuel filter is a good idea just in case you run across some bad diesel along the way or some crud in your tank decides to break free and clog things up. These are not that common but can happen.
One other thing that may occur is a valve cover gasket may short out. It is used as a wire harness and the connectors on the inside can short out. The symptom of this is the truck will run HORRIBLY as only half of the engine is working usually passenger side for some reason. It too is a relatively quick and inexpensive fix and I apologize but I can't find my part numbers for this, maybe someone else can chime in.
Now I don't want to make it sound like you are in for one repair after another, but these are just some things that go out on the trucks. I have a 95 with 313K miles on it daily driver and we take it on our long trips, that is how much confidence I have with it. The things I mentioned above have happened to me, (thank God not all at once), so I am just passing the experience along.
Enjoy the truck, keep the oil changed, and it will serve you for awhile!
Take care and don't hesitate to ask questions,
Craig

Also this guy is a Ford F250/350 genius http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/index.html
Old 07-11-2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks guys, all the info is great. I will keep the spare CPS sensor and tools in my toolbox in the truck. As for my last question, what is a superduty, I mean this truck is called just a F-Superduty. No numbers, not on the title or anything. It was ordered as an "incomplete truck/Cab & Chassis" for a wrecker service. The 1" hose has to be the breather for fillup, I can't see it being anything else. Thanks again guys. In about 2 months I will be moved to florida (Trenton Fl, 30mi west of Gainesville) and will have my salvage yard in full swing. All Ford Diesel stuff will come here first.
Dan Beyer
Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to trhland
welcome

welcome im new also and love it here????
Old 07-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

ok, i see what your saying.....the "superduty" body style is 99-presant trucks....BUT

Some cab and chassis had the "f-superduty" badge on the side in the mid 90's. I bleave these trucks were usually f-450 duelies, but im not sure....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.