06-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by bnorman
Hi all. I'm looking to buy a super duty for towing. I've looked at a lot of 6.0L trucks, but not as many 7.3L ones (because of high miles). Anyway, I test drove my first 7.3L (76k miles) today and have some concerns:
- After the engine was warmed up, 3 out of 3 cylinder contribution tests came up with P0284 (Cylinder 8 Contribution Balance Fault).
Cam sensors throw this code. The injector is fine.
- The engine seemed very sluggish compared to the 6.0L trucks I drove (with the same crewcab/longbed configuration). I realize the VG turbo must add a little pep to the 6.0L coming off the line, but this thing was a complete dog compared to the 6.0L trucks I drove (at all speeds).
It's a 7.3. Yes, it's slow.
- Even towing a 8000# 5th wheel up a steep mountain road (at 2500 RPM), the turbo seemed to be topping out at 10-12 psi of boost. This is based on the MAP sensor, which was about 12 psi at idle and maxed out at 24 psi.
The MAP might be bad or have a cracked line going to it. If it said 12PSI at idle, that's odd. The EBP will read 15PSI on a dead engine, but that's the pressure of 1 ATM. Sounds like the MAP might be messed up or something. No big deal.
Things that seemed ok:
- A block leak check (blue liquid sensing for exhaust in the coolant) came out clean (unlike half the 6.0L trucks I tested, probably beginning EGR leaks).
- The injector buzz test passed (and sounded ok to my untrained ear).
Given that I'd rather not have to work on this truck immediately, would you walk away?
What's the price for 76k?
What you listed, there's nothing wrong with it.