Turns over won't start . - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turns over won't start .

I've been banging my head . The things that were suggested from my last post din't help. The truck has half a tank of fuel,wait to start light comes on then goes off,full of oil tack moves when turning over and engine oil pressure gauge shows good pressure building and holding .When i hook up scanner the only fault i see is a low reading on the high pressure side.It builds up to 265 to 300 psi and drops off quickly when you stop turning it over. Could this be broken or bad injector cups bleeding off pressure or something else completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is my no start experience. One day my truck wouldn't start. It crakned over fine, had fuel, glow plugs were working, just wouldn't start. I was perplexed. With a little help from eather I got it running and immediately drove to the dealership because I had no time to deal with this. Dealer said it was injector O' rings. I didn't know that would prevent it from starting and I told them to go ahead and fix it. $800.00 later I get the truck home with no problems but, when I tried to start it the next day guess what? It cranked and cranked and cranked but didn't start. I had some experience with my BMW doing the same thing, I know, my truck and my BMW are so similar right? Well the problem with my BMW was low voltage from the batteries, they had lost their charge and the fix was replacing the batteries. Rather than us eather to get the truck going I tried getting a jump from my uncle and sure enough, she fired right up. I replaced both batteries and have had no problem since but rather than costing me just $300 for the batteries it cost me $1100 and I don't think the O'rings were bad at all. That diagnosis was on the phone when I told the dealership what was happening. They didn't even check the voltage. I hope that helps.
Regards,

Dwight
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dealers will screw you over ^^^ goes to show.

Check your IPR by putting 12v and a ground to the wires. if you hear a click. it works.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtrucknut View Post
I've been banging my head . The things that were suggested from my last post din't help. The truck has half a tank of fuel,wait to start light comes on then goes off,full of oil tack moves when turning over and engine oil pressure gauge shows good pressure building and holding .When i hook up scanner the only fault i see is a low reading on the high pressure side.It builds up to 265 to 300 psi and drops off quickly when you stop turning it over. Could this be broken or bad injector cups bleeding off pressure or something else completely.
I have read you need 500 psi on the high pressure side to start, less than that and the injectors won't fire. You can verify this by looking for smoke out of the exhaust pipe while trying to start. No smoke= no fuel, injectors not firing due to low oil pressure from the hpop. Have you worked on the hpop lately, you could pull the front cover plate off and check that the bolt is torqued properly. You may need a new hpop? Good luck!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM

ICP cranking is too low.
Either bad IPR or bad ICP.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
ICP cranking is too low.
Either bad IPR or bad ICP.
How do you know it's not the HPOP? just tring to learn more. I guess it could any one of the above.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Yea could be that too.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 AM

need to install a mechanical gauge in the hpop system and verify the pressures. If they match the scan tool, it is hpop time. If they are higher and in the proper range, icp time.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Learning as i go .The hpop is off a running truck.Were fotunate to have three power strokes in our family .the pumps a leftover from my suns mod. on his truck .i tried all the control censors on my wives truck.One at a time ,to verify they were still good.Good bat cables deep cycle gel batteries . Theres two things that i have found out. One there used to be a alarm and remote start in this truck.it was removed after the accident .Two the person that sold it to me ,was useing either to try and start it until he burn the hair off his arms ,thats the only thing funny about this so far. Thanks for the feed back
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Are you getting smoke out of the exhaust pipe while trying to start? If you are then you can rule out th hpop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.