Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 f250 7.3l turbo skip?

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Turbostang500 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a stock f250 7.3l. And when I'm on the free way or highway at like 65 with or with oit a load when I start getting into the gas the turbo almost sounds like its skipping. Like a tis tis tis tis sound. When I let off it goes away. It's only around 65 or 70. Like I said with our without a load on. Anyone had this problem?
Ps. There is no real loss of power that I've noticed. But I've never tried powering through it cause it doesn't sound right.

#2 ·
Not tuned at all? Aftermarket intake?
Probably gonna be turbo surge. It's a spot in the turbo's range where it has a hard time compressing more air. Not exactly good for it.

#3 ·
I don't think you should power through it. What your hearing is compressor surge (the real one). It happens pretty easily with our stock turbo especially with an open exhaust. Only solution is a ww and/or a ported compressor housing. Either that or save about double that and buy a better turbo.

#5 ·
Power doesnt come directly from the turbo. You get power from bigger injectors spraying more fuel. The extra air helps lower egt's and completely burn the extra fuel.

If your not going bigger on the injectors, you won't see any real measurable hp increase but will see lower egt's, a different spool (noise and time), and no more surging. Plus, if you upgrade the turbo, you have paved the way for bigger injectors in the future!

#7 ·
The 2 you should research ar a sd66 (bruce's favorite) and a gt38r.

You won't notice hardly any improvement other than no surging and a little better egt's.
That is until you upgrade to injectors.

My advise is based off of spending 500 bucks on your stock turbo (ported housing and ww) and not improving the turbo other than getting rid of the surge. Spend more now but get a turbo that can make 450 hp if you want it later.

From what I understand the gt38r is non-rebuildable. It has to be sent back to manufacturer. I honestly don't know much about the sd66 yet but a fellow on here with alot of knowledge recommends it and says it is cheaper than the 38r.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.