truck stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck stalling

My 2000 7.3 has been stalling on me lately. It doesnt seem to matter when. I can be going 50 which is dangerous cuz the steering wheel locks up or i can be completley stoped. ive had to run it low on diesel quite a few times which i dont like to do, so could it possibly be fuel filter? Or bad wiring? Sometimes the check engine light goes on when it stalls sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes the battery light comes on as well. Any ideas on what the problem could be?? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcaveman
I had a similiar problem recently but it turned out that it had to do with my gauge wiring that I had just completed. I had it hooked up to a circuit that I found out tied in to my PCM I guess even though the fuse diagram said different.

I would start with your fuel filter and maybe even check the pressure on your fuel pump. It might be giving weak pressure intermitently but I could be wrong.

If you can get your hands on a code reader and hook it up, the next time it quits might trip a code for you. Just a shot in the dark though.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Thnx those were going to be my first 2 options before i started pickin at other stuff. if anyone else has ideas plz share
Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What kind of a stall? A stumbling stall or a key off kind of stall?

Really can't help until we know that.

The steering shouldn't lock but it may be very hard to steer with all the weight and big tires ans such
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
What kind of a stall? A stumbling stall or a key off kind of stall?

Really can't help until we know that.

The steering shouldn't lock but it may be very hard to steer with all the weight and big tires ans such
This will be the biggest help.
I doubt its fuel filter or fuel pump. Could be CPS, electrical issue, etc

Oh and how easy is it to start back up?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM

its just a key off kind of stall. sometimes it starts right back up, if it doesnt right away ill wait about a minute if that and try again then it will start. sometimes itll shutter a little real quick while im driving but it wont stall
Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM

and thnx guys
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the starting this tread as I have a exact same issue with my 2000 F350 7.3. I am no trying to hijack this ... but my symptoms are the exact same so maybe between both out trucks we can figure this out with the help from the forum.

My stall is the same ... just like turning the key off. Here is what happens and maybe this will determine where to start looking. I also have another issue which might be related that I will explain at the end.

1. Truck sits for a day or so, start up ... no problem no check engine light.
2. Notice my GPR relay (new white rogers installed) does not trip (have LED light mod) but get wait to start light (no LED from relay light)
3. Will drive 20-30 miles or more ... no problem no CEL
4. Truck will sputter or hick up for sec while driving like it loses power or fuel but then continue on but now the CEL comes on and stays on. This may happen again or not.
5. 5, 10 or 20 min later while driving no matter how fast ... the truck just shuts off like the key was turned off. While still rolling (I have a 6 speed) I turn the key to off position the turn to crank over, GPR LED mod light comes on and it starts right up and away I go.
6. CEL is still and will stay on.
7. I get home to read with OBDII reader and says "0" Codes
Let truck sit over night ... start it the next day ... no CEL for at least the next 20, 30, 50 miles until it hick ups again
8. It will eventually stall again but it could be 50 miles, 100 miles or 30 miles.
9. Read with OBDII and says "no codes"

Do I have the wrong code reader? It a standard OBDII $65.00 reader.

The other thing I mentioned above was the GPR. I am mentioning this cause it might be related.
I replaced all my GP's and installed a new GPR (White Rogers) and then also installed the LED mod to tell if the GPR is working or not since I have learned that "Wait to Start" is not tied to the GPR, but comes from the ECU. so here is series of events;

1. Truck cold (live in NC) turn key, Wait to Start comes on, no GPR LED
2. Truck starts with a little white smoke, colder it is more white smoke
3. Drive truck or let it warm up till temp gauge has moved.
4. Turn off ... restart and now GPR LED comes on.
5. GPR LED will work every time when the truck is warm.
6. Let truck sit until "cold" Over night ... all day, whatever
7. Start truck ... no GPR LED.
8. Warms up and GPR LED turns on every time for 60-120 sec like it is supposed to.

Could this be related to the stalling issue? I mean ... maybe CPU?

We look for any ideas help from any of you. Hope my explanation clears the air so we can narrow the options in fixing the issue.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM

yea that is literally the same . it seems like my truck is stalling more often as the days go on. i checked the fuel filter , it is dirty but doubt thats the problem. and as of your new GPR and GP's i dnt kno if that could somehow be related. mines doing exactly the same and i have done nothing new to it lately. idk. google guzzle 7.3 cps. i think were having the camshaft position sensor problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Sorry, meant to post this about an hour ago.

Yes, both of you need to replace the cps. It may not solve the problem but it sounds like it is the problem.

@ xory72...i would check to see if the pcm is commanding the gpr to turn on when it is cold. Just use a test light on the small wire going to the relay. If it isnt, i would check the EOT sensor for an open (could be shorted) when under a certain temp. I am pretty sure the EOT sensor is what the pcm uses to see if gp's are needed. If the sensor is bad but only in certain areas it may cause this. This is only a guess and i want you to test and not replace till you find whats going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.