Join Date: Mar 2012
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the starting this tread as I have a exact same issue with my 2000 F350 7.3. I am no trying to hijack this ... but my symptoms are the exact same so maybe between both out trucks we can figure this out with the help from the forum.
My stall is the same ... just like turning the key off. Here is what happens and maybe this will determine where to start looking. I also have another issue which might be related that I will explain at the end.
1. Truck sits for a day or so, start up ... no problem no check engine light.
2. Notice my GPR relay (new white rogers installed) does not trip (have LED light mod) but get wait to start light (no LED from relay light)
3. Will drive 20-30 miles or more ... no problem no CEL
4. Truck will sputter or hick up for sec while driving like it loses power or fuel but then continue on but now the CEL comes on and stays on. This may happen again or not.
5. 5, 10 or 20 min later while driving no matter how fast ... the truck just shuts off like the key was turned off. While still rolling (I have a 6 speed) I turn the key to off position the turn to crank over, GPR LED mod light comes on and it starts right up and away I go.
6. CEL is still and will stay on.
7. I get home to read with OBDII reader and says "0" Codes
Let truck sit over night ... start it the next day ... no CEL for at least the next 20, 30, 50 miles until it hick ups again
8. It will eventually stall again but it could be 50 miles, 100 miles or 30 miles.
9. Read with OBDII and says "no codes"
Do I have the wrong code reader? It a standard OBDII $65.00 reader.
The other thing I mentioned above was the GPR. I am mentioning this cause it might be related.
I replaced all my GP's and installed a new GPR (White Rogers) and then also installed the LED mod to tell if the GPR is working or not since I have learned that "Wait to Start" is not tied to the GPR, but comes from the ECU. so here is series of events;
1. Truck cold (live in NC) turn key, Wait to Start comes on, no GPR LED
2. Truck starts with a little white smoke, colder it is more white smoke
3. Drive truck or let it warm up till temp gauge has moved.
4. Turn off ... restart and now GPR LED comes on.
5. GPR LED will work every time when the truck is warm.
6. Let truck sit until "cold" Over night ... all day, whatever
7. Start truck ... no GPR LED.
8. Warms up and GPR LED turns on every time for 60-120 sec like it is supposed to.
Could this be related to the stalling issue? I mean ... maybe CPU?
We look for any ideas help from any of you. Hope my explanation clears the air so we can narrow the options in fixing the issue.