Head and Gasket Problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head and Gasket Problems?

Hey this is my first time posting, however I am a huge fan of the site and have searched and solved problems with help of the forum for years now and brought many friends to this site. I have done a good bit of searching for any help on this however I decided to bite the bullet and post to get some advice specifically on my problem.

I have a 2001 f250 7.3l with approx. 120,000 miles on it. At 100,000 miles i had oil appear into my coolant reservoir. After doing some research I ended up being forced by my dad to take it to a diesel mechanic. Turns out the driver side head was cracked so another used head was installed for $1300. 19,000 miles later I noticed a small trickle of antifreeze running down my oil filter, and oil that had collected on top of the fuel filter. After doing a dumb thing and driving it 200 miles more I had the cruise set at 65mph and the speed started dropping,and the service engine light flickered a few times. The oil had gotten so low that the safety feature(i call it the safety feature, I'm sure there is a better term) kicked in to where the truck eventually wouldn't run.

There was oil everywhere under the hood, even in the wheel wells at the rear, and about a gallon at the gas station that I was able to pull into before it shut off. I'm pretty positive that the head gasket blew, i haven't taken it fully apart yet because I decided to post to see If I should attempt a coolant pressure test first? Also the reservoir was only about 1/3 of the way full after I stopped at the gas station I should definitely get new head bolts for this correct? even though they are not the TTY head bolts? I shouldn't try to scrape together enough money for ARP studs since I'm definitely under 500 HP w/ only a Hypertech chip, 4" bullydog exhaust and a cold air intake, correct? And any advice why this would happen at such a low mileage on a 7.3l and twice at that? Sorry for such a lengthy description and thankyou for your help!

Also one more thing, on the head bolts should I get Victor Reinz or Fel-Pro? and as for the gasket should I get Victor, Fel-pro, or DNJ Engine Components.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update: I think that I have gotten lucky, while I was gazing over the driver side engine area with a good bit of things taken out and could see a portion of the hpop o-ring on one of the lines. So I replaced all 3(including the plug), as for the antifreeze problem, when I pressurized the system i saw drops of antifreeze running down the oil filter coming from the gasket ,that mounts to the block, of the oil cooler. I also bought all of the materials to restore the oil cooler. However my problem is that when I replaced all the hpop o-rings, i also removed some fuel lines from the fuel bowl to ease access to the hpop line bolts. Now the truck will not crank? I took the filter out and turned the key to prime the bowl, is there anything else I am not doing? When the truck shut off due to lack of oil is there any way that the fuel injectors need to be primed with oil? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've had the fuel bowl out of my truck three times in the last week chasing down a fuel leak. After putting the fuel bowl back in and hooking everything back up, I let the fuel pump cycle 4 times (key on, listen for the pump to stop, key off, key back on....) and never had a problem with it firing up immediately.

Is the truck actually not cranking, and by that I mean not spinning over? Or just not starting? If you lost a lot of oil, the HPOP may be low. There's a plug on the top of it that you can remove and fill with oil until it's 1/2" from the top. You can google instructions on how to install an HPOP that will have bleeding instructions. I think one of the techniques is to pull the IDM fuse and crank the truck a number of times, but for no longer than 1 minute per go so the starter doesn't overheat. Then put the fuse back in and see if it'll start.

Just google HPOP install instructions and follow those.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I filled the HPOP resevoir back up because it was fully empty. The rail on the driver side was completely full. I finally got it to start but now it is kind of hard to start, it requires applying accelerator. At idle it seems to have an extra faint tapping sound as well as a weird echo (whomp whomp) sorry its extremely hard to explain. I small a few small drips coming from the starter but i think that may be from the valley? i'm going to try washing out the valley and the engine again to try and trace the leak. At least it starts now! Oh one extra comment, when i was thinking it was the head one of my friends helping me, took out one head bolt on the front corner of the driver side but i put it back and torqued it back down to 95 ft lbs. That should not be a factor i do not believe though.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM

you should be alright with the one bolt retorqued, seeing as how it was on the outside.
are you sure the oil in the coolant wasn't the oil cooler all along? because that is a common symptom. regardless, that's fixed. doesn't matter anymore.
if the truck actually died due to oil starvation, it must have been extremely low. these trucks can run on 4 quarts of oil. albeit, quite poorly. if oil were low enough, some damage may have been incurred to components.
when cranking, does it take longer for the oil pressure gauge to rise than it did before? running way too low on oil can damage a primary oil pump. how long has it been driven since the hpo line was repaired? may have air in the oil system, but that wouldn't account for the noise
Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes you are right, it's too late for all of that now since its fixed. I had only driven the truck roughly 5 miles at the time however I ran it longer and it started cranking without throttle input. As for the noises I were hearing, they went away or I was paranoid and hearing things haha. I do have one noise though I'd like an opinion on and the is a high pitch wining noise that is heard from the transmission. If I put my ear close to the access hole/ flywheel inspect cover it sounds like that is where it is coming from. I had my transmission rebuilt roughly 20k miles ago as well. It leaks some oil and has gotten off the stick a number of times but never bad enough to where it starts slipping due to low ATF
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM

how long have you been hearing the noise from the trans area?
does it go away once in gear? does it follow rpm?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I feel like a terrible truck owner, I can not remember when I started noticing this noise. There is a small crimp in one of my tranny lines. I don't guess it could have gotten hot and damaged the clutches. When I changed the fluid and filter in the tranny about 3000 miles ago there was a lot if metal shavings on the magnet. I haven't checked the magnet again, and I put valvoline dex/merc ATF ever since I got it rebuilt. When I get home tonight I will try and make a video. Hopefully the loud 7.3 will not cover up the high pitch squeal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.