2002 F250 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F250 7.3L

I'm new here so please be nice. Okay I have a 2002 F250 7.3L 4X4 that just started to die after running for about 15 to 20 minutes, it will turn over but not start till it sets 30 mins to 1 hour. There is a small oil leak come from the back of the motor. I would appreciate any help with this issue, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First, read up on how your injector system works.
How HEUI works and best to convert
Now, the oil leak isn't from the back of the motor, more than likely. Not unheard of, but rare.
99-03 7.3 oil leak diagnosis
Ok. Now, this could be a few things. Since the HPOP uses oil, obviously, thinner oil is harder to compress and fire and leaks easier. You'd have to get something to monitor sensors and see what the pressures are in the HPOP system.
I think I've read about the IDM (injector driver module) doing this no start hot.
How new is this oil though? Shouldn't be more than 5k miles old on some xW-40 oil.
You might wanna get codes pulled off it also, because there can be some with not CEL (check engine light.)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM

when your truck turns over does your tach move or does it stay in one spot? if your tach dosent move while turning it over its your cps (cam position sensor) its bad. there is a recall from ford to get it replaced for free.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 ci View Post
when your truck turns over does your tach move or does it stay in one spot? if your tach dosent move while turning it over its your cps (cam position sensor) its bad. there is a recall from ford to get it replaced for free.
Not in an '02...

The "no tach" diagnosis was great up until a mid-'01 change in the electrical system (as evidenced with a Trans Temp Gauge added to the cluster). After that, the tach no longer gets it's signal directly from the CPS. So it's still a good test fro earlier trucks, but not all...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have changed the fuel filter, the oil only has 1200 or around there, could it be the ICP sensor? I took the plug off of it and it has oil in it, but now that it is home no codes are showing and I let it run for about an hour and it didn't die. I'm lost with this cam senor was replace by dealer years ago. But the temp gauge for the trans goes up to the middle when you first start it, is there a sensor on the trans that could kill the motor till it cools off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.