engine power sporatic under power?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine power sporatic under power??

Hi all. new guy to the forum here. I have been reading everything I can to figure out my trucks issues to no avail. I have a 2000 F250 cc, AT. I have a DP tuner and 4" (?) exhaust. I started having issues a couple weeks ago when my truck suddenly failed to start, but would crank fine. I replaced the cps, and glow plug relay to try to remedy the no start. didn't work. I towed it to the body shop that I work at and had our mechanic diagnose the problem. finally come to the conclusion after the scanner having no communication with the ecm that it was a bad connection with the tuner to the ecm. retaped the tuner to the circuit board and everything was good.....for a couple days..... then it failed to start again. so I pulled the ecm, re-secured the connection and I was off again.....for about five more days, then it failed to start again!! this time I took the tuner all the way out and just drove the truck with the stock settings in the ecm. but driving it this way I noticed that it periodically ran normal, then like a switch was flipped it would be very underpowered, would not build boost past about 5-7lbs and the exhaust temp would only go to about 800. Holding full throttle it would maintain this low power condition for varying lengths of time, then like a light switch again it would accellerate like normal. and this on again, off again condition persists still.
Yesterday I put the tuner back on after making sure to clean the connections very well to try it again and see if my problems would go away or persist. with the tuner on setting no. 1 (stock), 2 (+40 hp), and no 3 (80 hp tow) the surging problem persists. with the tuner on no 4 (120 hp) I cannot determine if the surging is still there or if it is "overriding" the problem by dumping more fuel to the engine. any help would be greatly appreciated!! thank you.
Also a scanner indicated codes p0591 and p0476

chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much affect on engine power does the BP sensor have? I was going to pull the sensor tonight to clean it and the tube. the sensor had some hard crusty buildup in it that I scraped out of it with a small screwdriver and pick. when I went to remove the tube it came out in two pieces as it was corroded very badly in the center. what would be the typical symtoms in this case?? thank you.

chris
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtf350
I have an 01 with the same under power problem
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Subscribed
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll read later, but a bad EBP tube/sensor will not give the PCM proper EBP readings, and can do all kinds of strange things to mileage/power.
UVCHs are a good suspect.
MAP sensor isn't unheard of.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM

What kind of scanner does your mechanic use?
Maybe a bad pcm? did you check connection between PCM and wiring harness?
One time i had a chip back out of my PCM while the truck was running and it blew out my PCM and the chip. Maybe it caused some damage to the pcm?
What CPS did you use?

Just ideas, but what everyone else told you could cause the issue too but a scanner good scanner will tell you all that,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.