7.3 cranks, no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 cranks, no start

2003 F250 cranks but won't start. I noticed oil pouring out of my HPOP so I bought the o-ring kit and fixed the leak. I put it all back together (or so I thought >.< ) and cranked it over. I heard fuel dumping on the ground, so I quickly stopped and realized the fuel inlet going into the bowl was unhooked. So after feeling like a complete idiot I looked up on how to bleed the fuel system, because I assumed I had air in the lines. So I bled the system to the best of my knowledge and help with other threads throughout this site. The fuel bowl squirts out a little bit of fuel, so I know I need to replace that asap but could that be a possibility of why it's not starting?

Also, I filled my HPOP reservoir up with clean oil and cranked it over for about 15 seconds. I opened it back up to check the level, and it barely moved if any and the oil was clean as a whistle. I'm thinking the pump isn't pumping? If so the oil level would have dropped and the oil would be black from being pumped back into the reservoir I would imagine.

I read a lot of posts about people saying it was their IPR or glowplug relays, but the truck ran fine just over a day ago, just leaked oil a little bit.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm out of work until this issue gets resolved. Thanks in advance

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

it would be of great benefit if you could get your hands on a diagnostic tool capable of reading the icp and ipr values
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I know. I wish I had one, but I just moved out of my home town and I don't know many people yet so I'm pretty much shooting in the dark. I have a few more leads I'm going to try today, if not I'm going to tear it all apart and check back over everything again.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

You may have air in your oil lines causing a no start. Keep'cranking in it and see if it fires. You might kill your batteries, so i would suggest in hookimg one of the small wires on your glow plug relay to keep them from coming on.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I figured I either had air in the fuel or the oil system. There's two plugs on either head where the oil galleries is. I loosened them both up a little bit and cranked the engine over, and then took them both out. It seemed like air came out of both of them, I tried cranking it back over and it still wouldn't fire up. Now my batteries are dead, so I'm pretty much sitting in the dark until my buddy gets back this evening. If I can't get it fired up tonight I'm going to pull the pump back apart and make sure I didn't skip any steps in the reassembly. Thanks for all the quick replies. Greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM

if you filled the hpo reservoir with clean oil and it didn't budge, then, for whatever reason, that pump is not pumping. could be due to a major leak in the hpo system. or the pump itself. if you have the pump out, place your finger over the inlet port and turn the gear. you should feel suction. as i'd mentioned though, it would be much better if you could get a hold of a tool capable of seeing data. even just a code checker would help
also, i believe the 03 advanced to the glow plug module instead of relay
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got ahold of a code checker earlier today. Plugged it in... and nothing. It didn't even power up. I checked all my fuses, they're all good. My buddy suggested that my battery voltage was to low, but after having it hooked up to his batteries for at least ten minutes it still wasn't powering up. I plugged it into his truck and it instantly lit up. I'm running out of options, I don't know what else to check without actually pulling it all apart again.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM

When you turn the key on, does the WTS light come on?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, WTS light comes on and goes off as it always had.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 PM

and you're sure the cig lighter fuse is good? don't eyeball. test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.