Cranks, No Start, White Smoke..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cranks, No Start, White Smoke.....

Ok heres what I have, Early 1999 7.3L. Last night in my shop I tried to start to go home....cranked but just poured white smoke out, tried agian same thing. Third atempt, started perfectly....first thought was glow plugs, but it was 65 degrees in my shop, ran great on the way home, so I thought no big deal, just a glitch.
The next day tried going to work, and it cranked and poured white smoke out...three times in a row. So wife was at front door waving her keys at my face. Went to work and now being a weekend, I'm T/S.
Heres what I've done.....
Oil at good level and 3000 miles old.

HPOP level is good.

GP relay good....Glow plugs themselves I dont know if there good.

Fuel filter 3000 miles old, but who knows it could still clog early.

Batteries show 12.9 VDC just sitting, with GL on at 11.9, trying to start at 11.5, I'm going to call the batteries good...

CPS should be good, just 1000 miles old and the tach moves(for a quick refrence).

I'm getting fuel, because I'm pouring white smoke out, but enough fuel going to engine?....I dont know. I dont have my fuel PSI gage here at the house.

IPC is good, tried starting it with it unplugged, and no oil in the plug end.

AND I havent run any codes, I'm not much of a plug in and tell me whats wrong type of guy.

So at this point I need help, Any ideas from the experts?
I'm going to check the fuel pressure on sunday(4/15/12).
Could it be an injector or two...Causing it not to start, so all that waste fuel is dumping overboard from the good injectors, causing the white smoke and no start symptoms from the bad injectors?

Thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, i dont have a solution for you but i do know (and you might too) white smoke is unburned fuel in cyls.
This can be from basically 2 things, the timing of the injection or the lacking of heat in compression.

Injection timing is pcm related so any sensor or module.
Heat of compression, well im not sure. Maybe not cranking very fast?

If there wasn't any problems before, then im sayin it is electrically related.
Since your getting fuel in the cyls, i would think the uvch's are ok and the pcm is doing what it should.

Im not sure if the idm would cause your symptoms. Maybe the harness of the cps or icp could have a problem internally.

I guess this was some rambling. Sorry bout that! Lol
Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 AM

Yeah turbostang....I'm with you on that it could possibly be the IDM, I do have a TS 6 position chip connected to it. I'll unplug the chip and check the harness to make sure its engaged to the IDM. I'm just hoping its not injectors, I dont have the time to fix that, I'm leaving for a 12 hr drive one way on Thursday night.......well maybe I am.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 AM

Hey guys, injector o-rings....? Is there another quick way to check those minus pulling your fuel bowl cap to check for black fuel(at least that holds true on 6.0L's)....I dont have that fuel bowl anymore, I deleted it.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

If you're not low on oil then I'd say your injector o rings are fine. Usually if they are bad, you'll start noticing oil level dropping, I'd probably call it g.lw plugs at this point without looking at it,

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 04-15-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
If you're not low on oil then I'd say your injector o rings are fine. Usually if they are bad, you'll start noticing oil level dropping, I'd probably call it g.lw plugs at this point without looking at it,

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Low on oil where? In the HPOP res. or just low on engine oil in general, to know if the o-ring are bad?
Because every 2000 or so miles I have to add a quart or two of engine oil. I had to add a quart of oil the night it first started to happen.
Just some history on the truck, I bought used 6 months ago, and have put 20,000 on it in that time. I know I'm adding alot of oil every 2000 miles, just figured the previous owner abused it, in some way......
I'm leaning all different directions, glow plugs I'll check(what should the resistance be at?), along with the fuel pressure, and my TS chip being lose, today after Church.
Thanks for the help guys! Anymore help is more than welcome.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Just checked fuel pressure from just letting the pump run and its at 65ish psi, I cant check it as I crank it over cause I dont have an hose to adapt the gage to, to see it.
Wire harness's seem to be ok, uvch, cps, map, idm, icp, ect....
Could it still be a CPS even tho its pretty much new? I have a spare I'll try when the weather clears up...I hope.
Havent checked the gp's yet, its raining and snowing here in Wyoming.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Gp's should be less than 2ohms or so. Mine were all less than 1 ohm except 2 of them which were open.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 AM

are you sure it's not coolant? coolant level is sustained? sorry. have to ask

and once running, how does it run?
also, i agree. high possibility that the glow plug(s) or module are heading south

Last edited by kaya@bernhausen; 04-15-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
are you sure it's not coolant? coolant level is sustained? sorry. have to ask

and once running, how does it run?
also, i agree. high possibility that the glow plug(s) or module are heading south
Yes coolant level is sustained ever since I coolant flushed it 6 months ago, no worries on asking that, sometimes its the easy things we miss.

And yes it once ran really good, and then no indication at all, till all it would do is crank and poof white smoke.

I'm going out to quickly change the CPS, and maybe check glowplugs.

Thanks guys!! Keep the brainstorming coming......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.