checked the usual and still no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
checked the usual and still no start

The last several weeks have been 50-70 degrees and only a few nights getting into the 40's, the truck won't start unless plugged in but is fine starting the rest of the day after I get it started in the morning. But there was several weeks where I was working 12 hour days and even sitting out in 60-70 degree temps the truck either wouldn't start (without a super small shot of starting fluid, I know big no-no) or was very difficult to start

Ok basically I've checked or what I know the following;

Glow plugs/undercover harness replaced two months ago and tested harness connector (think they all read .6 if I remember right)

cps replaced two weeks ago

stancor gpr two winter old but tested this morning and still working (although made the mistake to see how long it's energizing gp's but can test that in the morning)

When replacing the gp's I also replaced the injector O-rings I was very careful and not damaging them but who knows maybe I did.

Fuel filter/ oil changed under 2000 miles ago

One thing I didn't check was to see if I was getting oil drain back out of the reservoir

White smoke at startup, but clears and doesn't smoke after warmed up and it seems to run fine with no missing, loss/burning of oil

batteries/starter checked and good

not sure where the fuel bowl heater fuse is and not sure if that would make any difference anyway

Any suggestions on what to check next/again?
when checking the reservoir what is considered low?
Compression?
Injectors?
Thanks for any suggestions, I really don't want to have to take it to a shop as funds are kinda low

Roger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

I've been told worn/weak injectors as well as low compression can cause hard starts..

If ether gets it going, I wouldn't imagine it would be HPO issue.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So if it's plugged in it will start with no problems, regardless of how long it sits?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry it took me so long to reply back but I haven't been able to let it sit longer than 12 hours but as long as it's plugged in she fires up with no problems and no smoking. It's got me wondering if I need to retest the gpr, do you know what temperature has to get down to for the glow plugs to activate? as it's had problems starting when the nighttime temp only got down into the mid to upper 50's. I guess if the gpr checks out ok again I'll call around here in the K.C. area to get prices for a compression and injector test unless you guys recommending something else to look at. Thanks again
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

I think the GP's come on no matter what the temp, but how long they stay on for varies. But, I could be wrong. I always hear my relay click, no matter what the ambient temp or my oil temp is.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM

I think the same thing.

On a side note, i have heard that these engines should start without gp's in that kind of enviroment or at least the 60 temps.

A compression test may be the next step.

Honestly, i would tell you gp system before you stated everything u did already.

As a matter a fact, i still think it may be in the gp system.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine6stroker View Post
I think the GP's come on no matter what the temp, but how long they stay on for varies. But, I could be wrong. I always hear my relay click, no matter what the ambient temp or my oil temp is.

The GP's don't actually come on anytime the engine is even Warm (I know you always see the WTS light, but the Plugs aren't being activated unless the engine is Stone Cold). I don't know what relay you're hearing, but it's not the GPR (I have a LED on the output side of my relay, and I'm always aware of when, and how long, the GP's are on)

Also, the Glow Plugs are never responsible for a No Start at even in the mid-40's. Your engine might start more quickly with the plugs activated, but it's not mandatory the system work at those temps (every Nov you'll see tons of post from people having trouble with cold weather starts because their GP's haven't worked for Months and they've just then become aware they have problem because it wasn't even noticed in warmer temps)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

I can say with total certainty that my relay always comes on. It doesn't hardly stay on for more than a second or two when the motor or ambient temp is warn though.

My truck will start without the glowplugs, it just cranks for a little longer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM

checked for codes?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I haven't checked for codes yet, from my understanding the code readers at auto part stores don't pull much if anything up so I guess I need to take it to a diesel shop or the stealership and have it read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.