Starting Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Issue

Ok guys here's everything I have replaced on the truck all new glowplugs new GP relay new UVCH gaskets and wiring. Two new batteries new starter. Also had the injectors out and cleaned and flow tested. The truck still will not start unless it's plugged in or pull started. What's my issue? Where do I look next? Could it be the HPOP? or is it Compression ? Starts fine onces its warm and has been running but wont start 24 hours later and this is in the summer time Glow plug system is working fine am also getting an amount of white smoke out the exhaust while starting when not plugged in. truck is in my sig below.

Hopefully will be getting my friend over this weekend with his scan tool again from what i have read you can do a few tests on the HPOP with one like getting a psi reading at start up and while driving down the road please correct me if im worng.

Someone please help me figure out what's wrong with this truck !!!

Thanks

Evan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Johnny Law Brown

Check your gpr I know you said its new but I have gotten new bad parts before and check your uvch again to make sure nothin came loose
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Like jc said, I'm sure you've triple checked to see if it's working, but who knows.
After all that though, what about the battery cables? That was the only thing not listed.
You've got the right idea though. Test the ICP cranking and all that other stuff.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright I sure will i went ahead and did the stancor relay but will double check it to make sure theres no proble with it but i did run a test by taking my old UVCH and Glow plugs and plugging them in while outside the valve cover and turning the key on to actually see how the system worked the glow plugs didnt seam to get glowing red till about 20-30 sec in and glowed all the way to about 90 seconds like there supposed to dont know if this is any helpful info but thought id share. And I also installed the little plastic clips in the UVCH connection so they couldnt wiggle lose for that added protection and knowing i should have a loose connection. How could battery cables be a problem? what are some signs of a bad battery cable or whats there to look for?

Thanks for your input guys i greatly appreciate it this trucks never ran right since the day i got it i want to get it going so i can be a proud powerstroke / 7.3 owner
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Bad battery cables will have increased resistance over new cables, therefore not getting the proper voltage/amerage to the components that need it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'll have to do a quick one over on them this weekend and see if i can tell of any real bad signs of wear.

Anyone else have any sugestions?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im also having the same issue. recently replaced the hpop and gpr and iat sensor and relay. glow plugs are new. wont start unless plugged in.and still starts very hard and alot of white smoke. the white smoke starts almost as soon as i start cranking. crank for about 15 20 sec and it will try to fire. but no go. let it rest and try again and it fires right up. new battery cables also.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Holly hell wcable250 that doesnt sound good at all man. But yeah sounds similar to my problems but havent replaced my HPOP im hoping thats my problem though as its got to be that or bad compression seams to be my last two things i havent looked at. Hoping the best for ya!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Wcable,
That kinda sounds like it has to build HPO first for a while, then has enough to fire off and start.
There's been a lot of threads like this lately, or so it seems, where all the obvious stuff and some not so obvious has been checked and even replaced! I think at this point, those people might have to look at injector Orings, and maybe even injectors. But of course, I'd monitor many things with something like AutoEnginuity first.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it started fine until i replaced the hpop and now it happens. im possibly thinking that one of the check valves in the hpop fittings are not seating right so the oil pressure is leaking back. that is my next idea is to pull it back out and check them. any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.