Truck won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck won't start

Hi, I need help with a 2002 F350 that I recently purchased in non-working condition. The truck has 152K miles. And I don't know much about its history. The truck could have been sitting for a month or more. Here are the symptoms and what I have checked.

- The engine turns easily but won't fire.
- The glow plug relay has voltage across the inputs and 10+ volts across the outputs when activated.
- The high pressure oil reservoir was very low to empty of oil. I filled it to the top.
- The camshaft position sensor was broken and even somewhat melted at the tip . How could this happen. I replaced it. The tach doesn't make a move when the engine turns with the starter. Would this still indicate something wrong with the cam sensor?
- The previous owner broke off one of the 3 bolts attaching the thermostat housing so it has no coolant. This of course needs to be fix but I was hoping to get it started first, run it for a few seconds without coolant, and then mess with extracting the busted bolt. I was expecting the engine would start without coolant. Is that a bad assumption?

Still won't fire even after extended cranking.

Any ideas of things to check?

My planned next steps are:
- pull the valve covers and check compression, replace glow plugs, and replace all injector o-rings. Doubt o-rings are the starting issue but while I'm there I might as well change them. I guess there is a chance that the prev owner ran it long without coolant, overheated it and warped the head giving me very low compression.
- if that doesn't fix it, attach a fitting and check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter.

I'd love to hear some additional ideas.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have good ideas.
I would probably check the gp's befote even lifting the vc. You can do that through the uvch connector.
i would also check fuel pressure before tearing into the engine.

Does it smoke at all or even try to start? I know you said id doesnt fire but i have to ask.

If the cps was melted at the tip it would be from heat (obviously). That could come from overheated engine (doubt it would be that hot) or possibly rubbing the ring inside the engine.
With the cps out, can you see in the hole and tell if things are covered in melted plastic?

Also, with damage in the area of the cps, inspect the wiring fully. Removing it from the loom if necessary.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I'll check the wiring today. The CPS didn't exactly melt into pieces but it did get deformed and a plastic chunk had broken off. Suppose that's down in the oil pan. I also gave it a thought that the engine got so overheaded that it melted the CPS but that is unlikely. Cosmetically, the engine and attached components look in really good shape. And no sign of any coolant in the oil indicating a head gasket issue.

I am concerned that even with the new CPS, I don't see tach movement when cranking. Would that be possible? I'm going to check wiring and fuses.

No, it doesn't fire at all - not even partial ignition or any smoke.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the "wait to start" light come on on the dash?

Might have a pcm problem.

If you have zero smoke, this means the cyl's are not getting fuel.
Just need to diag why they arent. Do you have fuel in the fuel filter?

Is there a way for you to do a buzz test? This will tell you if the pcm has control of the injectors.

Oh, did you happen to make sure it had oil in it!!! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.