Guys...I Think I Lifted My Heads??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Guys...I Think I Lifted My Heads???

Before we start, PLEASE read my sig before you go any further so I don't have to type everything my PS has under the hood...

Now that you've read what setup I'm running, let me tell you about my day...

I was heading to my shop this morning, but stopped to check on our hayfield for a few, then took off again...When I shifted from 2nd to 3rd (NOT counting Low) I heard a very weird ticking sound, much like the injector noise, but a bit louder than normal...This is where I ****** up, I thought nothing of it as my truck is normally loud and continued to work. I went to pass a dump truck and when I did, the ticking went away...then a smell I have never in my life smelt before presented itself for just a few seconds and dissapeared, my boost pressure dropped, truck started shaking, and a lot of white smoke mixed with black rolled out the tip, and my truck felt a little shakier than normal....

I was determined to make it to the shop, but I couldn't make it. My boost normally kicks in at 1900-2000 RPM, but didn't want to hit until 2500 RPM, boost was very little (normally 30psi...did good to hit 15psi) Then it happened...oil pressure light came on, and coolant gauge went straight to H, and fast! I pulled over, cut it off, and popped the hood ASAP....oil and coolant, EVERYWHERE!...Immediately checked the dip stick, solid black 15W40, no sign of coolant? Checked the coolant tank, empty? Oil drips from the drivers side of the block to the ground, and the entire undercarriage is covered in coolant...I was able to get it to the shop a few hours later, and have briefly looked it over, and cannot see any OMG look at that, indicators of damage? Just for kicks, I started my truck, fired up and ran perfect?...

I have yet to tear into it as I own my shop, and have been swamped with 24V upgrades, lift kits, and other work, so I'm not sure when I will actually tear into my rig, but I'm thinking I had to of lifted the heads because I did NOT stud the heads. My best dyno #'s are 463 HP and 1087 FTLBS so I didn't feel it neccessary since I was still under the 500 HP mark...What do you guys think? I will attempt to reply as soon as possible as it is now bed time in KY, and I am covered up tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Crazy_Cooter; 03-29-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

48 Hours, 38 Views, & No Input?...WoW...Still Haven't Tore Into It Yet, But Should Be Able To Monday?...
Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i didn't think studs were needed til you hit 40 psi of boost. sorry i can't be helpful. when you take a close look at it let us know
Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

By the sounds of it I'd say you did
Old 03-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What smell presented itself then disappeared?

Could an injector have given up the ghost and possibly cause some detonation?

I would do a leak down test or any other testing (compression) before tearing things down.

I am not an expert on these engines but it sounds like a pushed head gasket. It also seems that something else went wrong causing the gasket to pop.
The ticking may have been valve train like the exhaust push rod or rocker. This might cause higher cyl pressure.

I would just be doing some testing before pulling the heads.

Once there off, it is just a guessing game on what was wrong. Some things are obvious and some arent.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Johnny Law Brown

Definatley check your compression, I would be very leary of starting the thing until you figure out what is going on. How much oil did you lose cooland etc. is it wet everywhere or on the side of the block in the oil cooler area, or other obvious signs of abnormal activity? From the way it sounds you probably just pushed your head gasket out I would say your probably lucky it didn't fill your cylinders full of water and lock her up
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Definitely Gonna Be Doing Some Contribution & Leak Down Testing...As For The Smell, Idk?? It Happened & Left So Quick It's Hard To Even Remember What It Had A Remoteness Of? As For The Coolant, The Fill Tank Was Completely Empty, & The Crankcase Was Low, But Still Solid Black 15W40...The Coolant Was All Over The Engine, Batteries, Under The Truck On The Body...The Oil Was Coming Down The Drivers Side Of The Block....I'm Beginning To Think An Injector Hung WFO, Filled The Cylinder Up, Then Pop Goes The Weasel...Just My Guess So Far...I Have A 355 Roller Build To Finish In The AM, Followed By A Z71 Leveling Kit Install, 4 Leaf Springs To Install On A Sprung Over Wrangler, & Possibly Start On A 100HP Injector & BD Super B Turbo Install On A Cummins 24V...So Eventually I Will Tear Into It?...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Verdict Is In...

Cracked Heads
Cracked Block
Rods Knocking

FML
Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OUCH... no good
Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Johnny Law Brown

Well I guess you got decisions to make now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.