help no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to excursionMark
Exclamation help no start

OK I posted this in the 911 section but no one responded and I'm kinda stuck and looking for any suggestions and advice that anyone is willing to give

for starters I was driving it to work got about a mile and a half into my drive and stopped at a light and the truck started to idle really rough then when the light turned green it would not go above say 1500 rpm and had no power so I limped it to the closest parking lot and shut it down immediately I then checked all fluids and oil was right on the add line so I added oil and tried to start it with no luck just cranking then I changed my fuel filter checked to see if the pump was operation by listening to it and seeing if it filled the fuel bowl which it did so that is functioning next I added 15 gallons to the tank just for ggood measure because I was below a quarter of a tank now I'm a little below a half so that's good next I pulled the codes and p1280 and p1211 came up so I disconnected the icp and tried to start it again no luck so I got it towed home by good old AAA since then I have removed the IPr and checked to make sure it was not getting hung up and made sure the internals could move freely sprayed it all down with brake cleaner and a clean cloth then put the selonoid back on it and put 12 volts to it and heard the internals of the IPr moving then reincpstalled it still no luck . I checked the hpop resivour and it has oil in it then I disconnected the hpop plug on the back to make sure that was pumping and it was .. a lot with a lot of pressure behind it ... I also replaced the cups and unpluugged the fuel bowl heater just for kicks still no start so now I'm coming here for some advice .. I am also thinking if buying autoenginuity to diagnose further .. also I cleared the codes after reading them the first time and the only one that keeps coming back is p1280 which leads me to believe its the icp but that could be tested by unplugging it right cuz I've done that multiple times and I've cleaned all the connectors and visually inspected them and they all look fine ... any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry to hear that man... I had the similar problem, my would start and run, but with no power and lots of smoke, and after replacing under valve harness, replacing ICM with no results, the buzz test showed the 5th injector making a substantial lower noise. I decided to change all injectors at once (Ryan Casserle) Stage I ($1090,00 set) and it fixed the problem. My truck had about 195K and I always used some additive, so I was not expecting it, so I would say to you to find a good scanner (snapoon?) and make the buzz test. Hope you can fix it soon
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Sounds like you know more about the 7.3 than I but you did not mention if you were getting smoke while cranking, that will help to solve your issue. I am guessing no smoke, so your not getting fuel. Not sure of all the things that can cause the fuel to be shut off, but the ICP I do believe is one of them. I think, just the other day a guy on here had a no start issue and I believe he found the ICP wiring harness had some bare wiring showing and it was shorting or something, he did like you unplugged it and still no start. Once he found the bare wires, he taped them up and the truck fired up. I only mention this as his issue and trouble shooting sounds like yours.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
Sounds like you know more about the 7.3 than I but you did not mention if you were getting smoke while cranking, that will help to solve your issue. I am guessing no smoke, so your not getting fuel. Not sure of all the things that can cause the fuel to be shut off, but the ICP I do believe is one of them. I think, just the other day a guy on here had a no start issue and I believe he found the ICP wiring harness had some bare wiring showing and it was shorting or something, he did like you unplugged it and still no start. Once he found the bare wires, he taped them up and the truck fired up. I only mention this as his issue and trouble shooting sounds like yours.
I forgot mention I have an Air Dog II, so fuel was not a issue. Also, my truck has been fixed, as I said it was one bad injector that was making havoc.
It can be also the ICP sensor, or one of the injectors, maybe... or even the ICM....
let me know what you find...
Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM

I would check the uvch's. You can use an ohm meter to see if they are connected on the inside.
the other quick thing is to change the cps.

It sounds to me also that your not getting fuel.

Help us out and tell us if there is any smoke or if the truck is trying to start but wont.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonbaird View Post
I forgot mention I have an Air Dog II, so fuel was not a issue. Also, my truck has been fixed, as I said it was one bad injector that was making havoc.
It can be also the ICP sensor, or one of the injectors, maybe... or even the ICM....
let me know what you find...
I was talking to Excursionmark not you, sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No problem, wish you a good look. take care.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Honestly haven't been paying that much attention to the exhaust but I do not recall smoke being there ... I will however check tomorrow morning if I get the chance and I will definitely check the harness for the icp thanks for both of those suggestions ... this has been driving me crazy but I am purchasing autoenginuity and once I get that (if neither of your suggestions end with good results) I will be checking all of the pressures from the hpop and icp and will hopefully be able to find the culprit from there ... I do know fuel is getting to the bowl and I cleaned that out completely and put a new filter in but just to be retentive I'll check it again tomorrow .... also I already changed the cps just to get that out of the way haha
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM

No smoke = no fuel in the cylinders.

By the way you described the events, it seems like it was sudden and without warning which i usually relate to an electrical problem.
Checking the uvch's is free and fairly easy to do. That is why i suggested that.
If you already changed the cps then that is eliminated also.
Is the WTS light coming on?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Yeah wait to start is coming on thank god I just replaced the PCM a year ago and I don't wanna deal with that crap again haha and Ill check the uvch's tomorrow ... I may check the idm as well but that's annoying to get to but may be worth it ... Kinda dreading taking the valve covers off haha but I'll tackle that tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.