White smoke misfire and loss of power please help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke misfire and loss of power please help!

Ok early 99 truck. I fixed my starting issues by replacing both my batteries with Ngk extreme. Also changed fuel filter with wix filter. Truck is now starting fine but has a misfire just above idle through rpm range with a decent amount of white smoke as well. The smoke smells like in burnt diesel to me. I do have a snap on scanner but I'm showing no codes or cel any ideas? I also have a ford can sensor on the way but don't think it's the problem I need help ASAP please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM

I also noticed it seems to use no coolant although I can't really drive anywhere. Also seems when I give it a rev to about 2500 rpm a small amount of white smoke comes from the back side of the passenger head... Head gaskets maybe? Also when it hits 2500 toms it seems to hit a brick wall and takes a lot more throttle to get it past 2500 rpm where it then takes off like normal again. I'm really stumped
Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Tried unplugging the mat sensor today and still no luck! Truck seems to run better but still has white smoke and falls on its face right at 2000 rpm someone please chime in
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

White smoke is either un burned diesel or antifreeze.

If it smells like diesel then you have a cold cylinder. Can you do a contribution test?

I would try to figure out which cyl is the problem and then figure out why. If the contribution test doeant help or cant do, you might just want to have a reputable diesel guy do a compression test.

That is about all i have for you with what your telling us.

I would have suggested glow plugs but it would clear up in a little bit.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:22 PM

I'm not sure what a contribution test is? Is that something that can be done with a snap on scanner? I had mentioned that unplugging the mat sensor did not help earlier but right after I posted that I took the truck for a drive and it ran 1000 times better when I got back I let it idle and gave it a few small revs, the white smoke was gone at idle and while revving however it did still choke out at 2000 rpm but not anywhere near as bad as it ha been before.

The white smoke did smell like diesel and the antifreeze in the jug above the radiator has not dropped at all so I'm thinking anything coolant related is not the issue.

I spoke with a mechanic in my area and he claims the cam sensor can cause these symptoms. He does not belive it has anything to do with my mat sensor and suggested I replace the cam sensor. I do have one being shipped to me but I have yet to get it in the mail.

I have a hard time believing a cam sensor would have something to do with the white smoke coming from under the hood though but then again it could be my up pipes? I have yet to get into that.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes dang it, i meant to include the cps.
it is a known problem on our engines.
it controls the timing of the injectors and if it is off, that cyl wont fire and cause white snoke and no power.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM

it could be head gaskets or the fuel pump
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM

What do you use your truck for?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM

Well I got my cam sensor today hopefully I'll have time to put it in before work and if not I'll shoot for tomorrow.

I thought it may be head gaskets too but that doesn't explain how my coolant hasn't moved.

My truck has been a yard orniment since I got it lol. I'm being forced to sell my diesel gmc ... So I'm having to get this ford running and daily drive able
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM

ok so i installed the cam sensor and it didnt change anything at all. i checked everything with the snap on and all seemed fine but i did find a few codes.

i have code p0472 exhaust pressure sensor low

p0470 exhaust pressure sensor curcuit fault

p1670 EF feedback signal not detected

po269 cyl #3 contribution/ balance fault

p0284 cyl #8 contribution/ balance fault

p0476 exhaust pressure control valve performance

i also have some ICP info, ICP PSI 470-500 at idle, engine rev it goes up to 2500 PSI.
my injector pressure while cranking over the truck is 2000. i also have a video im working on posting that shows what the truck is doing and when. headgaskets have been ruled out by testing as well. let me know if you think of what my problem might be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.