Check this out: oil pressure gauge, possible issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check this out: oil pressure gauge, possible issues?

Info: 01 7.3 116k miles, auto trans.

Lately i've been annoyed by the oil pressure gauge in the dash. When I go out in the morning and start the truck, it turns over and cranks up just fine. It'll run for 1-3 seconds before the needle on the oil pressure gauge moves and the low oil pressure light will stay on with it. It's been getting progressively worse over the past few days also. Today I decided to try something so here's what I did: I would start the truck, let it idle for a second, then shut it off. I did this 5 or 6 times and it got to the point where the oil pressure needle would move before the truck would even crank up. I also noticed that the tach needle would move up a few hundred RPM's. I kept starting the truck over and over and each time the needle would jump up to normal oil pressure before the truck started. So here's my question, what does this problem sound like? LPOP? The gauge? Or something else? I've had help from one guy on here (thanks Nick) and i'm going to install an oil pressure gauge to see what i'm getting but i'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem or knows of a 'fix'.

I will also mention that the truck has 0 problems running, doesn't seem rough at idle or anything. Still maintains 15-17 mpg and she seems fine.

Last edited by Toms01PSD; 03-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 AM

No one has a similar issue or heard of this?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine does it.
The gauge is almost an on/off gauge, no real pressure reading to it at all.
The LPO system doesn't hold it's pressure once it's not running. So you have to crank to bring the pressure up. And the LPO sensor is in the HPOP reservoir. So since the HPOP is using oil out of the reservoir, it takes a little bit for the LPOP to fill it back up and raise the pressure in there. It's no big deal.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Mine does it.
The gauge is almost an on/off gauge, no real pressure reading to it at all.
The LPO system doesn't hold it's pressure once it's not running. So you have to crank to bring the pressure up. And the LPO sensor is in the HPOP reservoir. So since the HPOP is using oil out of the reservoir, it takes a little bit for the LPOP to fill it back up and raise the pressure in there. It's no big deal.
Isn't there a check valve/ball that's supposed to stop it from leaking back? The thing is, if this issue didn't happen before and it is now, you'd think that either 1. the LPOP is getting warn out/going bad or 2. the sensor is going bad.

Know what i'm getting at?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM

I hardly pay attention, but to me, I think it's always been that way.
Only way to really tell is get a real gauge on it, like you said. Cause you can still have pressure and the dash gauge show 0.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Pay attention to it next time you start it and see what happens. Mine almost feels like it runs different when the pressure gauge finally jumps up.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM

No, I mean before. It does what yours does right now, and has for a while. I notice no difference in the running of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.