99 with white smoke on start, loading up, no power. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 with white smoke on start, loading up, no power.

I've read through a bunch of white smoke threads and mine seems different, hopefully its an easy fix. I'm away from home in the car right now, when I get back in a week or so I have to hook the camper to the truck and tow it to my next job, probably 400+ miles. Should have 2 or three days to work on truck, but ill be bringing plenty of tools with me in case.

Anyways, here's the problem. When I start the truck there is a lot of white smoke and it typically idled rough. It will continually blow smoke until I get on the road and floor it. Normally if I drive agressively enough for a mile or so it will clear out and run normally the rest of the day. If I don't get it cleared out in time, meaning over about 1 minute of idle or a few miles of driving easily, it won't clear up.

What I have to do then is pull the filter and put 1/2 bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in. After starting then it will blow a big smoke cloud out then all is well until the next day, where the procedure starts over.

Truck is an early 99, 180,000 miles, stock except for exhaust and edge programmer. It does the same regardless of what the edge is set for,.including stock settings. I changed glow plugs and relay this winter, and the previous owner changed injectors about 20,000 miles ago. It is confirmed by others that they were changed, but I don't know what was installed. Also the turbo is new, fuel filter new, oil recently changed. Compression is unknown. The glow plugs were.spotless when I pulled them, no build up at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nothing? Just to add some info, truck uses no oil or coolant. Fuel mileage is around 12 to 14, its a Dually with 4.10 gears so that seems right. I use power service every tank. If I don't use it the truck will load up every cold start, when I use it the truck still smokes like crazy but will clear itself out when I drive. Once its cleared out there's no more smoke.

There is sometimes a 'puff' sound when the truck clears out and starts running correctly. The power jump is also very noticeable when it clears out. Like barely moving to shove you back in the.seat difference immediately sometimes.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello Jules,

First of all I am new to this forum and I just bought a 2000 7.3 XL F350 4x4 a few days ago. This is my first diesel and love it so far. I am mechanically inclined and know a tone about regual gas vehicles, but this is new trritiry for me.

My truck is doing the exact same thing this morning. It was hard to start, took me a while and then when it did it seems like it was "missing". Once I let it warm up a little a then gave it a little throttle and nothing but white smoke and at high RPM's it sounded like it was missing.
Then after it warmed up and I took it around the block, stomped on it a few times and all was fine.

I'd be interested if anyone has any advice, thoughts etc. to give up. Look froward to some replies.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Our problems sound the same to me. Hopefully someone has an idea. Fuel treatment seems to help me a ton, but its not enough. If you ever can't get it to clear out on its own put a half bottle of that diesel 911 in the fuel bowl, it will clear it right out.

To me it seems like injectors, but they were replaced on my truck. I have no idea at this point.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I found something ... see the link below. For the low cost of this sensor, I am just going to order.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3...at-sensor.html

Good luck with your fix. I'll post my results as soon as I get the MAT replaced.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM

sounds like your injectors are sticking. you could try rev-x but I believe that is only a temporary fix. the solution, I think, is to have the injectors rebuilt.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlystock View Post
sounds like your injectors are sticking. you could try rev-x but I believe that is only a temporary fix. the solution, I think, is to have the injectors rebuilt.
That's what I was thinking, but they are fairly new. Unless they were installed wrong, or something else. If I remember correctly from when I did glow plugs they have alliant stamped on them, but I may be mistaken. Is there a testing procedure to find out if this is the problem? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 AM

I'd pull the injectors and get them flow tested. Could also do a compression test just to make sure. I assume the truck ran great when you first got it.

sent from my phone on some app that I downloaded for free
Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

UVCHs been checked? Just a shot.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe run it with the valve covers off and watch the oil coming out of the injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.