Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

random dieing issue

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  svt28640 
#1 ·
My truck has started randomly dieing. Sometimes come to a stop an itwill start idleing rough then die. Starts back up fine sometimes will die again. I can Rev it. Up after it dies an it'll be fine. An sometimes during normal driving petal becomes UN responsive. Hpop has 4999 psi at idle. An climbs in rpms. I'm thinking cps.any ideas

#2 ·
My truck has started randomly dieing. Sometimes come to a stop an itwill start idleing rough then die. Starts back up fine sometimes will die again. I can Rev it. Up after it dies an it'll be fine. An sometimes during normal driving petal becomes UN responsive. Hpop has 4999 psi at idle. An climbs in rpms. I'm thinking cps.any ideas
Your HPOP should NOT read 4999psi @ idle.

It should read somewhere between 500-1000psi when cranking depending on HPOP condition. (it takes minimum500psi to pop the injectors, and ive seen as high as 1000psi cranking)

You need to check the ICP sensor/plug/harness in my opinion

#3 ·
Would the icp sensor being bad make it have less power?

#4 · (Edited)
It can. I broke my ICP sensor when working on my truck and I lost power and it acted just like you are saying. I dont know what my pressure was cause I didnt have a gauge for that but I would be willing to bet that is your problem.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok i hooked my scan tool to my tuck tonight an happened to check the codes.. Does not have a check engine light but has 11 codes. I know the po238(boost sensor a to hi) was from over boost( fixed that with regulator) an the p01249 (wastegate control valve performance) is from the turbo being non wastgated an the plug/vaccum hoses being gone. an the p0541(intake air heater) its deleted) But still has p0232 fuel pump secondary circuit high, p1209, P1210, P1211 INJ control pressure system, P0471 exhaust pressure sensor circuit performance,P0475 exhaust pressure control valve fault, P0340 CPS circuit, and P0743 TCC system electrical fault. :eek:hnoes:.. Happened to have the data up on my scan tool when the pedal went dead an idle dropped an inj control psi jumped to 20750, The truck has seemed to been weaker then normal lately but never get drove much. My mods are in the Signature .

#6 ·
Ok guys new info I changed my icp sensor an it did nothing, I changed the scan tool setting from kpa to psi :poster: an it now reads 725 psi at idle an about 1100 psi at 2000 rpms. It now has like a dead miss/lope shakes. And only has p1210 an p1211 codes now. But if you hook the scan tool up to the truck while running an try clearing the codes it kills me :help1:

#7 ·
also now if its ran a while. when u cut it off an try to start it back it will idle way low like 3-500 an pedal want do nothing. cut it off an try it again it will be fine sometimes have to cut it off 2 or 3 times

#8 ·
The Icp is new. Ipr is replaced with known good one
Its still throwing 1210 an 1211 codes. Does this mean hpop?

#9 ·
My pickup is doing the same thing.:mad:

#10 ·
I have changed the icp, ipr, idm, an my oil pump has 2600psi at wot loaded not optimum but shouldn't be low enough to Cause problem. But it still throwing icp codes 1210 an 1211 an after driving when you turn the truck off an try to start back it does the pedal unresponsive an crappy idle. Well just for hell of it I unplugged icp an it starts back fine everysingle time.

#12 ·
Yes, but i did notice that either my hpop or my hpo lines are leaking. Could this cause these codes or my trouble

#14 ·
What about ecm?? Could that be the culprate.

#16 ·
Seems like icp still the way it fixes it with it unplugged

#17 ·
I had a similar problem and chased it by starting with the valve cover gaskets and harnesses, then ICP sensor, a host of other checks... Replacing the HPOP AND regulator got rid of my problem. In hindsight, I am pretty sure it was a regulator acting up because the loss of ICP was due to injectors, not HPOP.

#19 ·
2 separate issues, low icp and random no start/dying... replaced the hpop aND ipr at same time, no start problem fixed, low icp not fixed.... Replaced injectors which brought icp up to acceptable levels. I am pretty sure I had a good pump and a regulator that would stick occasionally

#21 ·
should i try hpop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.