7.3 Issues with Videos - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Issues with Videos

So, I know there are a few "hard start" threads on here, i just figured I would go ahead and add mine in hopes of finding some answers.

2001 F450 Dump; 158,000 miles; approx 7mpg at first
Background: just bought the truck about a month ago and have already done the following...
-New HPOP lines and fittings from ford
-New International Bellowed Up Pipes
-Turbo Pedestal O-Rings
-CCV Mod
-Oil Change
-EZ Oil Additive +Cetane booster
After all this she seemed to run great (much better than before and definitely increased efficiency maybe 12mpg at best) and the start up was significantly better and seemed to have more power.

But, just the other day a bunch of things happened all at once.
-Passenger Rear Inside Tire Blew
-Power Steering sprung a huge leak
-Blew the CAC pipe off (greasy boot from CCV)
-After truck was turned off it would crank but not start.
So I replaced the CPS and it took a while to turn over but finally it would start...now it seems to run decent but its realllly hard to start, even after its been running and is warmed up...

Hard Start Symptoms:
-takes a while for the oil pressure to build (see first and third video)..shouldnt the oil pressure shoot right up when you start cranking? Thats what's making me think HPOP?

Videos:
Cold Start

7 minute drive Towards the end, around 6:00 there is a small uphill climb

Engine off and Restart, Still Hard Start

Last edited by CCA-F450; 03-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you definitely have a LPOsystem leak or a HPOsystem leak.seems to me that the HPOP is bleeding down ESPECIALLY when warm.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM

yeah, I'm thinking HPO since it causes a hard start (would the low pressure system cause a hard start as well?)

Just curious, what do you mean it seems like it's bleeding down? what leads you to say that? the oil pressure gauge throughout the 7 minute drive video?

Where are some places to look for HPO Leak?

also, I already replaced the HPOP lines and fittings with new Ford parts and I'm pretty sure it's not those...I was considering replacing the HPOP altogether with an Adrenaline Pump from DieselSite.com, any thoughts on this? (since I would have to pull the HPOP to inspect gaskets, o-rings, drain plug and non serviceable plug anyways...

only crappy thing is I want to go ahead and do a new water pump, rad. hoses, therm/housing and complete flush and I'm just not sure our company can afford to do all of that AND the Adrenaline Pump right now..
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

to your private message:

the Injector regulator pressure sensor. There is a black two connection plug that has a wire loop latch that holds it in place and may be attached below the HPOP. it plugs into the above.

Should only be the Hi Press line and the return line, and I was told to replace both (only did HP because it was obvious to me that only the sealing washer had gone bad...but replaced the hose just because I was in there.

BTW, I use Mobil 51w 50 full synthetic, and have ben told as long as I religiously change it, the engine should go for about a million miles.

Doc/John
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM

So are you saying the IPR sensor is what tells the HPOP to start pumping? what actually drives the HPOP? is it engine rotation or electricity? I am a bit confused on how all these sensors IPR, FPR, ICP, and EOT work together with the fuel bowl and HPOP to start the motor and keep it running

what is the probability of the injector o-rings going bad? is that something that could cause this?

here is a list of what I am considering doing in the next couple weeks...

Flush PS system somewhat (one of our guys put in PS fluid the other day so I'd like to get that out before I put the new system in) Then...
new PS pump, hi press hose, return hoses and synthetic ATF

Flush old coolant system with garden hose Then...
new water pump, gasket, upper/lower rad hoses, 203* therm and billet housing
and flush with distilled water a couple times and fill with 50/50 gold coolant and distilled water

new fuel pump (chassis mounted under driver door)
new intake mani/intercooler boots from dieselsites (non silicone, the stockers keep wanting to come off)
new HPOP (Adrenaline or Terminator? which do u guys like better?) along with new gaskets/o-rings
thoroughly go over sensors and wiring harnesses IPR, FPR, ICP and Injector/Glow plug harnesses inside and outside valve covers..
clean and rebuild fuel bowl with DieselORings.com kit
clean/inspect EBPV and tube
replace "upper end" oil with new clean oil (i can almost guarantee this has never been done)

still debating whether I should pull the injectors and go with new o-rings or not, what do you guys think? would also replace glow plugs while Im at it...I definitely don't think we can afford new injectors right now and I don't think we need them, they seem to be working (clicking in the video is the injectors opening and closing right?)

the only thing about all this is it's gonna be upwards of $2000 just in parts alone and if I do all this and it still doesn't fix this hard start issue (while I know it's all good stuff to do) my boss is gonna kill me lol...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have read on this board that the HPOP leaking would fill the valley.

Also forgot to mention that the IPR sensor is electric...low (frayed wires, eg)/no power (relay going bad, broken wire) = no go

A top F250 D mechanic told me if you did the cps, target the HPOP. When I did that, I (luckily) looked at the wiring CAREFULLY and found frayed wires) leading to the IPR sensor. Apparently, there wasn't enough power in my brand new Interstate batteries to push enough current through to run the IPR sensor; therefore, the truck would crank like heck, but the the injectors were turned off, so no combustion!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM

yeah, the HPOP lines that go into the head were leaking bad and filling the valley, I replaced both lines and all four fittings...I think it might still be leaking from somewhere else because there's a little oil in the valley but not nearly as much as there was...I really need to get in there an clean it up and see what happens from there...

still, what DRIVES the HPOP? electricity, engine rotation via a gear, oil pressure??

I'll go over all the wiring carefully when I get a chance, seeing as how thats free lol..
Old 03-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Idk what that "EZ oil additive" is, but if all else fails, I'd drain the oil and refill with fresh oil and do NOT use an additive. Most do not work well with the HEUI system.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One other thing to try that won't cost you:

"It's worth a shot at unplugging the ICP before you try and start to see if that makes a difference. If the truck fires right up with the ICP unplugged, and you can repeat the results, then you need a new ICP.

It's located on the front inboard (on the driver's side cover, near the IPR sensor.)" (from another post a month back) .
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM

jesilvas, sorry that might've been a little misleading, EZOil is the brand...It's a diesel additive that I got while I was getting parts at International, not oil additive...

council, that sounds like a good test too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.