IDM Problems????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDM Problems?????

A little background.
Truck (See Sig) - Just under 184K on the ticker.
Been running a Hypertech Power Programmer III - Set to Stage 2.

The truck has been running very well - My daily driver/5th wheel puller. Go anywhere do anything with the truck.

Tuesday (2/28) - headed home from work. Party way home the truck suddenly has lack of power, running rough, but drivable - Nursed it home. I go into the house, eat dinner and relax a bit.

My PP3 gives me the ability to read codes. So I go out and hook it up. I got 2 DTCs:
P1249 - Waste gate steady state failure - GND short, plugged hose/port, solenoid, actuator
P1316 - Injector circuit/IDM codes detected - Injector circuit failure/IDM codes detected

I cleared the codes, programmed the truck back to stock. I fired it up, was normal, but decided to take it for a drive. All good - full power, running smooth. Go back home, reprogrammed to Stage 2. Took it for a drive - All good.
Fast forward to Thursday. Again, after work on the way home same thing happens. Get it home. Same codes, cleared, deprogrammed to stock, fired it up. Still bad, doesn't want to run worth a crap.

So....I look up that the IDM stand for Injector Driver Module and it is an amplifier to get the voltage to the right level to fire the injectors. Okay, I get that. One thing I did notice both times is that when the truck goes into this mode, the pyrometer drops to about 100* and stays there. To me...it seems that the left bank is not firing. If it were, the pyrometer would be seeing some temps there (probe is in driver's side manifold before the up pipe). I don't understand where the waste gate code comes into play.

The question then is - because of the miles on the truck, has my IDM bit the big one??? Is one failure causing the other? Which is failing first?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

IIRC, there should be other codes stored for the IDM issue.
You're proably right abouth it being on the left bank.
It may be a bad UVCH connection or the UVCH might be shot.
I had a bad UVCH (wires rubbed bare under the valve cover) and it took out the IDM.

You probably need to scan it with a more robust scan tool.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input Bryce! Working today - I'll take a look under the hood this weekend. If I can't figure it out, I'll get it to the shop. I'm sure he'd have a better scan tool. He's only a couple miles down the road, so I'm sure I can nurse it down there.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

I called the shop. They had an opening so I took it in. I should know something on my Monday.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The P1316 is really an indicator for the IDM (like the SES is for the engine and the "flashing" OD light for the trans) telling you there are codes that need to be pulled from it. When you see a 1316 you need to run a "buzz test" and Then the IDM will create the codes for you to dump.

Takes a professional scanner to get good results (Snap-On, AE, Ford, like that...)
Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks NoRalph - Good to learn something new. Before I saw that code I didn't even know there was an IDM. I guess I got some reading to do.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Get the injector codes pulled and a buzz test ran and that'll usually give you a place to start. Sometimes the under valvecover harness connector appears burnt and other times it can be all melted apart inside and you'd never tell by looking at it.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

I got the truck back today. BryceB had it right. It turned out to be the driver's side UVCH. They replaced it and took it for a road test. All worked good. Driving it home, it seemed to run smoother. Maybe the harness had been failing over time.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 AM

Yea but, if the drivers side plug failed, how far behind could the pass side be?

Instead of waiting for it to go next, I'd be tempted to fix it now with the 50cent mod....

http://www.youtube.com/v/GHwjEfJtM_g&hl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.