Pulling Turbo out of 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling Turbo out of 7.3L

Hey all -

Is it possible to pull the turbo and turbo manifold without pulling the pedestal?

The reason I ask is because I don't want the added work of pulling the pedestal and replacing the gaskets.

Also, can I replace the Y-pipe donuts from the top (w/o pulling the up-pipes off of the exhaust manifold and doing it from the bottom?)

Thanks in advance! (please only respond if you have already done this - I don't need any "guesses")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't think you can get to the pedestal bolts without removing the turbo but you should still pull it, it's only 4 more bolts and two orings. I don't know what you are referring to by turbo manifold but you will need to pull the intake, spyder and intercooler pipes. Last time I had my turbo out I just rotated the intercooler tube after pulling the spyder.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey bud, you can definitely pull the turbo without removing the pedestal. there are two bolts that fasten the turbo to the pedestal but you will still need the two o-rings that sit between the turbo and the pedestal. As for you up-pipe problem i'm not sure what you're saying by the turbo manifold. if you mean the y-pipe then yes it has to come off. By the way i definitely recommond the IH up-pipe kit from riff-raff diesel. their kit includes all the hardware and the o-rings and a turbo o-ring kit can be added as well. Good luck to ya cause those up-pipes aren't too fun to do!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7PO1NT3 View Post
Hey all -

Is it possible to pull the turbo and turbo manifold without pulling the pedestal?

The reason I ask is because I don't want the added work of pulling the pedestal and replacing the gaskets.

Also, can I replace the Y-pipe donuts from the top (w/o pulling the up-pipes off of the exhaust manifold and doing it from the bottom?)

Thanks in advance! (please only respond if you have already done this - I don't need any "guesses")
If you do not pull the up pipes off the exhaust manifold you will atleast need to loosen them from the exhaust manifold so you will have some room to play.

No you do not have to pull the pedestal there are two bolts on top of the turbo in the middle that you remove to pull off the turbo.

The hard part is the reinstall because you have to get everthing just right before you sinch everything down.

I would reccomend that you replace the up pipes with the bellowed ones because they are suppose to be better less chance of leaks.

Most of the time you will need to replace the up pipes from the wear of the doughnuts and the bellowed ones are only aprox 200 bucks more then the oem.
http://dieselorings.com/index.php?pa...&cat=9&group=6 Link for bellowed up pipes. I would of bought them when I replaced my up pipes but I did not find them until it was too late.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumjunky91 View Post
Hey bud, you can definitely pull the turbo without removing the pedestal. there are two bolts that fasten the turbo to the pedestal but you will still need the two o-rings that sit between the turbo and the pedestal. As for you up-pipe problem i'm not sure what you're saying by the turbo manifold. if you mean the y-pipe then yes it has to come off. By the way i definitely recommond the IH up-pipe kit from riff-raff diesel. their kit includes all the hardware and the o-rings and a turbo o-ring kit can be added as well. Good luck to ya cause those up-pipes aren't too fun to do!
So i figured instead of waiting for responses yesterday, I should just get under that hood and start pulling things apart. After all, the best way to learn is trial and error. So ya, as it turns out you can pull the turbo without removing the pedestal. So i pulled the turbo manifold (some call it a damn spyder) and the associated intercooler pipes, the intake, all of the BS wiring harnesses, and with a few F-bombs here and there the thing came off.

I'd say the biggest pain in the @ss was getting that damn clamp off between the Y-pipe and the exhaust inlet of the turbo! The thing was practically welded on.

I know it sucks but I didn't replace my up pipes while I had that beast torn apart. I know those donut gaskets are completely worn because I have a minor exhaust leak where the up-pipes meet the y-pipe. I'll have to save it for another day when my wallet fills back up. By then ill be a pro at taking that damn turbo out. I am not looking forward to that day.

I bet everyone's wondering why I pulled my turbo in the first place. It's all because of that damn riffraff Fuel Rail Crossover (FRx). I've got another thread goin in the 7.3 performance parts forum. Look for my update there.

-Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I was hoping you did pull the up pipes out because then my new thread would have been answered!!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superxcrewfx4 View Post
I was hoping you did pull the up pipes out because then my new thread would have been answered!!
Ha! Sorry about that. Shoot me the money for new up-pipes and ill let you know how it goes!!

But no, I'll be replacing the up-pipes and gaskets within the next couple of months so look for that thread...unless you beat me to it.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I dont want to do it and I cant afford the bellowed up pipes. I also have 246000 miles on it so i dont really want to put that kind of money into something like that if they lasted 245000 miles then if i replace them maybe it will last the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
turbo, turbo pedestal, up pipes, y-pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.