7.3 Engine turns over slower when starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Engine turns over slower when starting

Ok, this just happened about 2 days ago and it seems to be all of a sudden, not something graduale. I have a 2002 F250 7.3L Diesel 2WD - Aside from some suspension work i need done everything seemed to be fine new batteries a while back so the engine has been cranking great. Turns over fast and starts right up.

then suddenly on Sunday, when i cranked the engine, the motor seemed to turn over slower, almost like its under more compression, and when it is in the process of turning over before it actually cranks the engine seems to rock or recoil back and forth more pronounced than before. Not sure if that is simply a result of the engine turning over a little slower or greater compression or whatever but the engine seems to crank distinctly differently than normal that i was convinced it was a motor mound. I Checked that the best i could watching the engine while some else cranks it and as far as i can tell it is not the motor mounts. ONce it is cranked the engine runs fine when driving on the highway or Interstate it has all the power it had before, so i dont think it is the Turbo, but honestly i dont know. Would anyone have any ideas what could be going on? ALso, maybe my imagination but seems like when i stop the engine there is a very faint thump, which is the last thing i hear when the engine stops, but so faint i cant tell if it doest that everytime. I would appreciate any ideas on this, thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Slower start or Hard Start

Ok also just checked battery cables and they are not corroded or are they getting hot when cranking., As stated the batteries are new, no more than a few months old.

I have done some reading and i guess i can describe how other describe that is seems to be Starting Hard. Like it's under more pressure when turning over. But starts up fine. At risk of sounding paranoid just not sure if its beginning stage of something very bad
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Where do you live?
If it is down south, maybe it is cold enough right now that you just noticed
the glow plug system working more. I know they draw quite a bit of juice and i can notice
a difference in cranking speed.

Im just guessing, might not be what going on at all. Just getting conversations going.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

check your starter
Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. I live in the South and right now its a nice 70 deg. so cold weather isnt an issue.

It's just strange because now everytime i start it just simply turns over slower, but cranks up just fine.

I thought back through and realised my batteries are about a year old, time flies, didnt think it's been that long since i changed them. I guess i need to check the water in the batteries, not corrosion on the terminals at all

if the batteries do check out, which they should, i will check the starter next.

thanks for the replies
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my money is on a weak starter
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Yeah, seems to be narrowing down to a possible starter issue i guess!! Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Ok, Now truck won't start this morning. Yesterday on about 3 occasions it would turn over several times very sow then just stop --- like it would with a dead battery -- but no clicking sound associated with dead battery. turn key off the back on again and it would turn over faster and finally start. Now this morning it turned over and stop a couple times --- and it does nothing --- does not turn over at all - in fact i hear nothing machanical happen. I replaced both batteries, they were under warranty so no cost there which is great, but doing same thing when i turn the key on, everything seems normal, but when i turn key to start, NOTHING, dash lights go out and NOTHING. Of course i am thinking starter, but is there anything else this could possibly be?

thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Any connection (doesnt have to have corrosion on it), starter solenoid, the contact area between the block and starter. That contact area is a ground path that can be over looked.

If you do pull the starter, see if anyone in your area can test it before you buy another one.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Well foumd the whole problem. It was a bad starter but what started out about a month ago of engine turning over a little slow and ocassionaly seeming to rock back and forth pronounced than normal (almost like a motor mount was loose or broken) was actually the two bolt starter had one of its bolts come loose and back all the way out. so that rocking was the starting moving slightly due to that >WOW - i am shocked i didnt break something else. replaced starter and tightened bolts extra tight. Cranks right up the way it used to. All i can say is thank GOd i didnt damage my flywheel or something else due to that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.