ECT Sensor Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RYanmas9
ECT Sensor Question

Ok guys,
Bought a 2002 Ford F250 4x4 6 speed with 155K back in August. She had some issues but I am slowly getting them fixed. Up Pipes were leaking, exhaust had been done by some first time welder that was blind folded....ect. My check engine light was on of course. So I have replaced my Up pipes with the International Beveled pipes, and have a new 4" turbo back exhaust. She is sounding good and running like a champ. Pulled the codes and showed P0117 and P0476.
P0476 Was the Exhaust Pressure sensor. It was pretty much full to the brim with carbon, so replaced that and cleaned the tube out. Now the Valve in the turbo works and my fuel mileage has increased. Had some starting issues so also replaced CPS and ICP sensors. Had the fuel heater wires rubbing together shorting out. Spliced the plug and fixed the wires. Fixed all those problems.
My problem lies with the P0117 Code. This is the ECT sensor. I replaced the ECT sensor and it is showing normal temps. Whenever the truck gets into normal operating temperature the CEL comes on. Once the truck is shut off and cools down the light goes back off. Thinking it might be something else, I replace the Air intake sensor at both the Air intake and the Air charge sensor on the Spider Pipes up by the turbo...still got the light. I unplugged the sensor and the temperature gauge goes to the cold range...so Im guessing there arent any wiring shorts.
I've read that the manuals go by the Engine Coolant temperature while the automatics go by the Engine Oil Temperature. Is this true or could my oil temp sensor need replaced? Im lost guys I dont know where to go from here. Any ideas? MAP sensor tied to this at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you ever get this fixed?
My truck is doing the same thing.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Both manual and automatics use engine oil temp for engine control. Coolant temp is for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.