idle aggrivation!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
idle aggrivation!!!

having a little trouble with the idle of my truck it runs fine and it starts fine its just the idle of it.. when the truck is dead cold it idles like it should but as soon as it warms up it runs sorta roughly and idles up and down bout 200 or so rpm up then back down kinda like when the ac or somethin does when it kicks on only it does this with nothing on at all anyone else had this problem icp was cleaned not long ago and re sealed thinking maybe icp but it doesnt have any oil in it im stumped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 PM

My E99 just started doing the same thing this week. Any input out there?????
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Anyone have any input on this matter? My E99 is doing the same. Cold start it idles fine, once it starts warming up it starts jumping 200-300 rpm (too fast for tach to read). Does it with Tunes installed or without. Cruising is fine until you let out of and its still in lock up it really causes truck to jerk and snatch. Horrible in gear at a red light, I can hardly hold the truck back with brakes.
I have elimated the pcm and idm by using a wire harness to run my truck off of a 2001 models pcm and idm. We did an injector test and all the injector pulses sound the same. Did an injector balance test and each cylinder seemed to kill about the same power.
1. have heard that it could be an injector allowing compression back up into the fuel system (causing air bubbles in return line-airiating fuel in tank?)
2.high pressure fuel pump and/or ipr valve.
3. blockage in fuel passages in head.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had a somewhat similar problem with my truck, bugged the heck out of me but didn't seem to major just not a smooth idle, so i put up with it for a while and ran some injector cleaner and that didn't really hep, so what i did was go under the hood and on the forward side of the turbo in the middle there is a solenoid and a plug on the driver side, i unplugged that and blew it out and plugged it back in and it actually seemed to smooth out the idle a decent amount, not sure what it is exactly, maybe the TPS or something idk but it worked for me.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM

ICP? You need to monitor the ICP and IPR during idle to see if that's it. Bet it's HPOP related.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 AM

hpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
ICP? You need to monitor the ICP and IPR during idle to see if that's it. Bet it's HPOP related.
I had my buddy and ex powerstroke technician ( he left after 3 years of 6.0s and never went back) with his ford scan tool and didnt raise and eybrow to any of the readings like the ICP or IPR. I see you are located in nacadoches? If I brought my truck to you do you think you could pin point the problem? I just hauled my 13,000 lb. race car trailer 250 miles to Evadale and back today and it runs great on the hwy. Unloaded around town it runs hard through gears..... still could be hpop related?

Also, the night my bud looked at it the fuel pressure at the pick up pump was 76 lb.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 AM

I have no way to test anything. I'm just giving ideas based on what I read.
The most I can do is compare it to my idle. It's about 50RPMs +/- steady.
That 76PSI I guess was after the fuel pump?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM

yes, after the fuel pump on the frame rail.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM

For both of you having problems, this sounds exactly like the 10k mod will cause your truck to run.
Search it and you will find alot of info. It isnt a recommended mod but i think we can learn from it. The engine will do exactly as both of you describe so maybe the harness has some resistance in it.

From what i understand of the 10k mod, it trickes the pcm into thinking the icp is reading lower hpop pressure which causes it to ramp up the actual pressure. The only way you could confirm this is by monitoring the actual hpop pressure with a mechanical pressure guage. If the harness is acting the same as doing the 10k mod, the pcm will "think" the hpop pressure is correct when it is actually higher than it should be.

Does either of you get a little puff of black smoke? More than normal.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM

YES! Puff of black smoke when you first tap the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.