Turbo Damage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Damage

Have some lovely photos here of an abused turbo. Compressor is pretty banged up - the question I have is how long is she gonna last. Imminant failure? Nurse her for a few months? I'm thinking definately replace before chipping the beast. Other photo shows the dirt and crud in the intake tube immediately prior to the turbo, which brings the next question. Local garage suggested replacing the crank case breather box, and in the process of pricing replacements I came across this BD Diesel Crank Case Vent Filter - Powerstroke Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine - any experience with them? Worth the $300? seems keeping oil outta the intake would keep any dust from turning to goo and going through the turbo as nice gooey chucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo Damage-img_0516_s.jpg   Turbo Damage-img_0518_s.jpg  

Last edited by FlyinRyan86; 02-25-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

First you need to figure out where all that dirt is coming from. What filter are you running? Hows the shaft play on the turbo? It could last years or months. The wheel doesn't look too bad, as long as the shaft play is ok, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as the crankcase filter, I couldn't justify that much so, I just dumped it to the atmosphere. Costs $10 maybe and it keeps the oil out of the intake.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck lived in Texas for years so I'm guessing the air filter was left in too long once or twice and that was all it took to gooiefy the oil from the breather. Didn't think about just getting a longer hose for the breather and running it down to the ground... guess I could do that... don't think I'm going to single handedly ruin the environment from that! 10 bucks for some hose does suit my budget a lot better!
Now as far as shaft play am I checking for axial or radial play and what kind of limits do I have?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Both, in and out as well as up and down. Your big limit is the housing. As you can imagine, contact is bad, but some play is to be expected. I would say that .050" is "normal", but getting closer to an 1/8" is getting bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.