Help, my 7.3 blowing a lot of white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help, my 7.3 blowing a lot of white smoke

I just registered to this site and need help.
I have looked around for solutions but there are way to many different ones.

I just bought an 2000 F350 with 7.3 powerstroke with 232k miles
Ran great and no smoke.
I live in Las Vegas but I bought the truck in Salt Lake City.

And little while after the drive back to Vegas started with friends. Started to smoke white but we thought it was just because we were passing cold part of Utah.

Got to Vegas and started to drive around to get the feel of my new truck and noticing it was smoking more and more white smoke.
(I can't tell if it's blue, but I asked about 50 friends and mechanics and only 1 guy said it looked bluish)

But I did remember during the drive, when it started to smoke, I had no power to accelerate and my best friend's silly 4 banger dodge avenger was zooming away.

I have friend with same truck, bone stock and I drove it and it flies and does burn outs.

I'm started to panic and went nuts on books, asking around town and looking online.

So far i'm hoping it's the injectors from what I hear.
Some said turbo but it sounds extremely healthy.
I did try that oil filler cap test and the cap just stayed on or vibrated off but there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the filler tube as well so I'm extremely scared I got compression problem.

I didn't think this thread through because im frustrated but will add more info as I'm asked.

Also I bought it from a very large Ford Dealership, Henry Day Ford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you adding any oil to it?

Are you loosing coolant?

Are you getting bad mileage?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
Are you adding any oil to it?

Are you loosing coolant?

Are you getting bad mileage?
Oil and coolant levels are still full so I'm not burning either one.

Gas mileage, i'm not sure but i've been driving all day today and my tank was half full in the morning and barely dropped when i got home just how and that was over 60 miles of driving

So far a few friends came by and helped me look for any signs of problems, there's definitely a lot of carbon on when i wiped a rag inside the exhaust tip
The smoke smells definitely like a lot of diesel so I guess it is the injectors I hope.

I don't know how to check the injectors or other parts cause this is my first diesel.
And I'm on a strict budget.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:11 PM

White smoke can be getting too much fuel because you have a injector stuck open.

However in my case white smoke for me is a couple of cracked injector cups and my coolant is puking out of my degas bottle.

My exhaust is getting coolant in it because I lost a copper gasket one of my injectors that I did not catch.

Hopefully that is the only issue I have will know when I replace the injector cups this week.

It better not be my injectors because they are new remans and I had to wait for a couple of weeks for them.

I have had people tell me cracked heads but I told them it is impossible because my issue did not start untill I pulled and replaced my injectors.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
White smoke can be getting too much fuel because you have a injector stuck open.

However in my case white smoke for me is a couple of cracked injector cups and my coolant is puking out of my degas bottle.

My exhaust is getting coolant in it because I lost a copper gasket one of my injectors that I did not catch.

Hopefully that is the only issue I have will know when I replace the injector cups this week.

It better not be my injectors because they are new remans and I had to wait for a couple of weeks for them.

I have had people tell me cracked heads but I told them it is impossible because my issue did not start untill I pulled and replaced my injectors.
Yeah I met up with a friend who knows a lot about diesels and he said it's definitely an injector problem
I probably have one or a few cracked injectors and that they usually go bad on a 7.3 after 200k miles or something

Right now i'm trying to figure out how to find out which injectors are damaged and where to buy injectors from for a decent price

Also could someone explain this AE, AA, AB, and AD stuff? I'm really new to diesels and seeing these letters kind of have me confused.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just wanted to add something I noticed

I haven't been able to take my truck to a shop yet to have it inspected on what's wrong or able to have the injectors changed.

But my truck only smokes white randomly.
Sometimes i'll be driving a very fair distance without smoke and occasionally it does a lil or a lot. I finally used up my fuel from utah and added about 10 gallons right when the light came on for fuel.

I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow to see if that helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM

I'd fill the fuel bowl with a fuel cleaner or ATF and then put the new filter in and crank. HOPEFULLY it cleans the injectors out. But if it is an injector dumping fuel constantly, I would drive it as little as possible cause it can ruin a motor.
I'd do the fuel filter and change oil too since the oil fires the injectors. HEUI system.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a issue like this about a year and a half ago. Turned out to be a cracked oil cooler. All my fluid levels were fine since they were mixing together. Get it checked quick before you hydro lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.