2000 excursion not activating GP or IAH - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2000 excursion not activating GP or IAH

I have a 2000 Excursion and it is not activating the glow plugs or the intake heater. I verified the glow plug controller and intake heater relay were both working properly. There is no signal coming from the signal wires to the glow plug controller or the intake heater relay.

I'm wondering if it's just a bad PCM or if something could make it flake out, like a bad ambient temp sensor. If the temp sensor thinks it's really warm outside then maybe it is not activating the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK First, don't look for the AIH to come on, they Rarely do and not important to starting.

Second, the GPR is regulated mostly by the EOT (Engine Oil Temp) sender to know GPs are needed.

The PCM sends a ground path to the GPR to activate it. Be sure it's doing that by removing the two sm terminals from the relay. One will have 12v in it, the other should switch to ground for as long as the PCM thinks wants the GPs on (this varies with temp and has NOTHING to do with the WTS light.

And yes, once the PCM is satisfied that the EOT is warm enough, even though the WTS comes on, it doesn't send that ground path to the relay.

If the relay checks-out (the most common cause) what's left is the EOT sensor, the PCM, or the wiring & plug between them (both from the sensor & to the relay, with the PCM in between)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 AM

I have an excursion so it has a glow plug controller, not a relay. I did unhook the connector and checked the siganl wire for a switch to ground. There is none. I can check it at the 42 pin connector I guess next. I wanted to know what else to check. I guess after that I can try the oil temp sender. I am getting a reading at my edge tuner for oil temp and it seems to be tracking fine. Is there a seperate pcm sender?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swasenko View Post
I have an excursion so it has a glow plug controller, not a relay. I did unhook the connector and checked the siganl wire for a switch to ground. There is none. I can check it at the 42 pin connector I guess next. I wanted to know what else to check. I guess after that I can try the oil temp sender. I am getting a reading at my edge tuner for oil temp and it seems to be tracking fine. Is there a seperate pcm sender?
I'm confused. I have a 2000 Excursion as well, and I don't know of this "glow plug controller" you speak of. I have a relay. Maybe you could post up a pic?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 AM

All of the excursions have glow plug controllers and not relays as far as I know. You might be looking at the intake heater relay. The gpc is behind that on the passenger valve cover. It has two plugs coming out of it. a green and a black one the are around 8-9 wire plugs.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I actually tried to edit that response after I did some searching cuz i realized my dumbass was talking about the AIH relay LOL! Sorry to clutter your thread. I actually have to purchase a GPCM as well, as I had 6 out of 8 GP "go bad". After i checked them I realized it was the GPCM.

Sent from my Android using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM

That's ok. I have a brand new one if you want to buy it. $140 shipped to you. It's brand new in the box with receipt and warranty from ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.