engine just quits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine just quits

Hi guys and gals,

I am new to posting but have been looking over the board for about a month or so now.

Here is the dillemma. My dad just purchased an 2001 F350 2wd SRW used with 64,xxx miles on it. The truck was used to pull a 10,500 pound 5th wheel camper part of the time and then just cruising back and forth work the remaining. The truck worked great for the first couple of weeks but is starting to act up. The truck will run fine then just quit when you come to a stop. It doesn't matter if it is an hour of straight highway driving or stop and go. It just quits. The check engine light does not come on and once started again it is back to normal. The truck will start immediately upon quitting. I suspect it is the fuel filter as I have read it is common to change them every 15000 miles or so. The frequency of occurences seems to be more and more frequent. Here is the question, have other people experienced it and if so, what are some recommendations for a cure besides a new fuel filter?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Power Strokeaholic

sounds to my untrained ear's to be a cps.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stroke
sounds to my untrained ear's to be a cps.
possibly, but i need more info, i doubt its a CPS since its alwasy during the same event.....ill post some questions as soon as i get done eating my dinner here
Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Banned

alright, when you know it will act up, try putting it in nuetral first. this sounds to me like a trans problem, maybe a torque converter. the fact that it only happens coming to a stop, and it restarts makes it different than most stalls....is there any other info you can give???
Old 06-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Infidel

Definetly need more info to diagnose the problem. What are the gauges reading? Noises, vibrations, speeds driven (occur at same speed hwy vs. city driving?). Fuel filter seems like it would finally bog down and cause poor mileage, sluggishness and so on.
Craig

Hey Marc did you see where my tranny prob was the #8 fuse? Thank God!
Old 07-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your insight into this situation!

Here is some more information.

When it happens: Stopping, speed from which you stop does not matter, it has happened while stoping from 5 mph and 60 mph. Pressure of braking (quick or slow stop) does not seem to make it happen or not happen. Though it is starting to occur more when a slow stop is used then a quick stop.

Gauges: All guages are normal. Something is making the engine stop but the sensors can't pick it up. There is no smoke, smells, or excess vibration that have been noticed.

Indicators: There are no indicators or patterns of behavior that make it stop, it just happens. Stop lights usually are its biggest hangup. If we could aviod them that would be great

Performance: No issues, after my brother and I got done driving it last night we know that there are not any performance issues

Environment: Temperature, humidity levels, raining or not raining, it still happens.

My thought: From reading your posts, I feel that something is forcing the engine to quit. I do not believe it to be a fuel delivery problem but more of a stopping issue and the mechanicisms involved. I hope it is not the tranny as I am sure it is not cheap to diagnose and fix them.

By the way, what is a CPS?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

a CPS is the cam position error. they are one of the only commonly seen issues with the 7.3. when one fails your motor will just turn off, sometimes they will start right back up, sometimes you have to let the truck sit a whiile, then it will start, and sometimes they just go dead. i reccomend every owner of a 7.3 carry an extra cam sensor in the glove box to prevent them from being stranded somewhere.

the reason i dont think yours is a CPS is they dont usually have a rhyme or reason, although if i was you, i would buy one (i think around 50 bucks on ebay) and put it in. If if fixes it, buy another for the glove box, and if it doesnt, stick your old one in the glove box...........Marc
Old 07-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Marc for the information. Do you have any other suggestions as to what might be going on with the truck?

I will post more tommorow night as we are going camping with it. This will be the first time we have pulled our camper with it. Granted it is a toy (4000 lbs) compared to the other camper, I am curios if it does it towing.

Thanks again
Old 07-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Power Strokeaholic

have you tried puting it in neutral like marc said? make the T/C isn't unlocking or some thing. ??????
Old 07-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Infidel

Howdy,
When my CPS started going south it would act up when I hit a bump. I thought for sure that there was another electrical issue other than the CPS. Changed the CPS out and no other problems with bumps. So it could be your CPS.
Just a thought here, but how full is your fuel tank when this happens?
Marc or anyone else, would a bad speed sensor cause this problem? Seeing as it happens when slowing down? Screwing with the transmission somehow?
I agree with Marc about keeping a spare with you. Also, if you keep a small socket set with you if you don't carry a lot of tools. Specifically a 10mm socket and ratchet.
Keep us posted,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.