Truck spit and sputterd, now won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck spit and sputterd, now won't start

OK huys, I'm kind of new to Diesels in general. My girlfriends 2001 7.3 F350 was running fine yesterday. She stopped for fast food and shut the truck off in the drive through. when she started it back up, ut started running really rough, like misfiring real bad. She couldn't get it over 20MPH all the way home.

When I started it, it was still rough, but leveled out for a min. I shut it off till today, now it won't start at all. It cranks and will sometimes try to fire, but immediatly dies. It threw 2 codes, P1316 (ugh), and P0541 (AIH).

I'm wondering where I should start with this? I've did the 50 cent fix a couple months ago, so it shouldn't be that.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How was the fuel level?
I'd check the UVCHs anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's sitting at 3/4 of a tank right now. You really think they could come unplugged even with the quarters in them? It's got 253,000 miles and when I didi them, they were only slightly unplugged. It was missing on a couple cylinders, but made it from texas to South Dakota that way. It's been running perfect since.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Not just unplugged but the connections under the VC too.
If you pull the fuel filter and drain the bowl, you can turn the key on and the pump should almost perfectly fill the bowl in one cycle if working right.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The connections under the VC's should be what the quarters fixed right? Or there other connections under there to check? I'll try new batteries and a fuel filter tomorrow. Batteries are due to change anyways.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM

That's just one connection. There's others UNDER the VC. To the injectors. And wires that can melt/chaff.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, so spent a couple more hours on it tonight... Didnt get to pulling the VC's off yet, mostly because I hate doing it.

I tried to change the fuel filter, but the one on the truck has a pre filter attached to the cap, and the filter I bought had it attached to the inner filter??

I swapped the CPS with a new one, nothing...

I ohmed the glow plugs. I got .2 ohms on the 2 rear drivers and .3 ohms on the front two. In the passenger side, all 4 were .4 ohms. This atleast tells me not all the connectors are bad, right? Also, the GP relay is working good.

I guess the next thing is to pull the VC's??

I did notice it is puffing black smoke while cranking...
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 AM

The fuel filter you have is a single piece filter. Sounds like the new one is a two piece. How does the inside of the bowl look? And does it fill up like normal?
GPs - Sounds like they're good as well as the connections to the GPs. Injector harness may still be different. I'd check em. It's free.
After that, you may have to scan it or do a buzz/contrib test. In fact you could do that test before pulling the VCs.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the drain on the fuel bowl is clogged or something, I couldn't empty it out. I know there was a video somewhere about it. The bowl does have some fine black sediment in it, I'd expect that to be normal after 11 years and 253,000 miles. The screen attached to the lid was pretty black, I think I'll look for the right cap to use the other filters.

I'll have to have it towed in for the buzz/contribution test, that's the last thing I wanted to do, but may have to. I'll likely test all fuses tonight, don't want to spend too much time on it on Valentines day, lol.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also forgot to mention that I pulled the ICP plug and it was full of oil, but truck still wouldnt start with it unplugged, in fact, it wouldn't even try to fire then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.