RPMs jumping and now truck wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RPMs jumping and now truck wont start

Well my truck has been having problems with power surges when driving. The rpms will jump from around 1500 up to 2000 for no reason...this is mostly noticed driving at slow speeds in the city, at highway speeds the problem isn't noticeable really. I had a shop run a scan for codes and try to run a data stream for the icp and ipr but the scanner would shut down every time they tried to start a data stream(they tried more than one scanner...they all shut down). The codes that were stored were P0478, P0470, P1211, P0238 and P1670. I think at least one of them was thrown because of my chip.
The truck as of today wont start. If you try to start it before the glow plug light goes out it makes a clicking sound like a truck with weak batteries. Once the light goes out it will turn over no problem, just wont start.
I've replaced the glow plug relay recently and I know it's good. I'm thinking my problem is my ICP or IPR sensor or the HPOP itself. The sensors were replaced at most 30,000 miles ago so idk why one of them would be bad so soon? I'm needing some ideas here guys! I'm a college student on a budget and can't afford to replace stuff till it's fixed. Thanks for any replies in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Addicted to Diesel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cowboyupamrka Send a message via Yahoo to cowboyupamrka
I know this is older and i am not sure if you have had any luck but this sounds similar to the problem i was having, replaced the ICP and IPR and sensors and nothing worked. Anyways long story short it was wires that were grounding out. There is a plug above the driver side valve cover that is under the intake hose. follow the wires out of that plug down the side of the engine. mine were rubbing on the valve cover just out of the plug. separated and wrapped the wires up and adjusted the plug so the wires did not contact eh engine anymore and now it runs smooth. Not sure if the early 99 would be similar, but it is worth a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hpop, icp, ipr, rpm lunging

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.