what is this whistle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is this whistle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjBy...e_gdata_player

Have a listen. Skip ahead till about a minute, couldn't get it to cooperate right away. It kicks in at about 1:15 till 1:24, then I think twice more. Ive been wanting to record it but rit only happens when its cold out, this morning was borderline but the coldest we've in a while at 25. Video doesn't do it justice, you hear it over the turbo, engine, even the radio at good volume.

Its a 2001 stock except intake/exhaust (as far as I know). Its done it since I bought it
In 2006 under the following conditions:

1. It has to be below freezing, about 26-27 or less
2. Only occurs between about 1550-1900rpm
3. I can make it happen only during very light acceleration, deceleration, or holding steady within that rpm and specific throttle range once it starts. Give it a little more gas or let further off and it goes away. If I had to pin it down, id put it at 10-20% on the pedal. If I hold that spot on thethe pedal it turns off like a switch when I clear 1900rpm.
4. Doesn't matter if the truck is hot or cold. It will do it all day if outside temp stays low. It maybe is easier to cause it if the truck is cold though.
5. Starts off sort of gradually almost like a separated chirp, then builds to a solid whistle.

In the video, the truck warmed up for 10min to get the frost off, then starts about 2 minutes into the drive.

Any idea what this might be? Ill try to get a better video if we ever get some winter temps. Sorry to write a book. Been bugging me for years, finally thought to ask about it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
only thing I can think of is check the ebpv. It might be starting to close and when you acclerate more it puts more enough presure to pop it open. I may be WAY out in left field on this one just trying to throw something out there for you to check. try disconnecting the wire going to the pedistal and see if that fixes it. I'm really not to sure at all as I haven't ever heard or seen a truck do this just trying to give you something to check and see if it helps.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 AM

I am gonna say kinda the same thing.
I think it is exhaust backpressure but i think it is leaking somewhere causing the whistle.
these trucks will close the ebpv even when crusing on the highway if the eot/ect are still cool.
The pcm will open the valve at certain power demands on my 2000. So if i am deiving down the road and my t-stat closes because its cold out, the ebpv will close. If i start to accelerate with enough throttle demand, it will release and go. Now mine will run up past 2000 rpm and still have the valve on but you might have an updated code in yours.
Do you notice the truck lacking power when this is going on?

Like said, try unhooking the ebpv electrical connection and see if it quits doing it. If it does, then i say you have a leak in the exhaust between the engine and ebpv.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 AM

thanks for the replies guys. i've been reading here about the ebpv how it's problematic. I've got 126k on the truck and it/s never been serviced that i'm aware. I'm not sure i completely understand the valve, i thought it only functioned during warmup, but you guys are saying it operates while driving under certain conditions?

I read too about problematic belt/pully noise and a fix for it, but it does sound more like air movement than belt chirping to me.

i guess i'll have to wait for another cold spell to induce the condition, then unplug it and see if it stops. if that remedies it, is it detrimental to leave it unplugged, or should i completely remove it? any disadvantage to doing this? i really wouldn't care about the warmup period, it doesn't get warm till you go down the road anyway.

turbostang, there's no lack of power whatsoever, i've had/have a bunch of these trucks and i've always thought this one runs stronger for some reason, even when it's doing this. Are you saying i have an air leak in addition to a valve issue, or that i'm leaking air there, or elsewhere along the line?

thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM

turbostang, after re-reading your post, your saying to look for an air leak between the ebpv and engine that only manifests when the valve is closed, building pressure that escapes from the leak?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Yeah an exhaust leak like up pipes or the sensor line.
But first i would get it to make the noise then unplug the ebpv and see
if it still makes the noise. If it doesn't then it isnt an exhaust leak.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM

ebp tube won't come out

haven't had a chance yet to test the suggestion above, but decided to clean/change out the ebp sensor and tube on several trucks. first one went smoothly, 10 minute job, popped right off.

decided to do the one on the truck referenced in this thread, of course its completely plugged. i'm having a problem getting the tube removed though, this one has the dual alternator, and i can't for the life of me snake that thing out of there. has anyone done this with the dual alt. setup? do i need to remove something here? been fighting with it for an hour and just can't see how it's going to come out of there.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is all too familiar I have the exact issue, but lack power until the truck warms up then the power is back an d the noise is gone. I hope we get an answer on this thread cause I don;t know what to do!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 AM

You can unplug the EBPV cable to test, and verify that the valve arm is angled to the driver-side of the truck. If so...the valve should be open and not causing any restriction.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did cleaning that ebpv valve fix it? My 2002 does that like crazy since I bought it. drives me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.