start-up after engine rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
start-up after engine rebuild

I am attempting to get the truck fired up after a fairly complete engine teardown, cleanup, and rebuild. I've done some searching and have learned it will take some cranking time to purge the air from the HP oil system. I have about 10-12 cranking cycles complete (10-15sec crank time, 10 min starter cool down) but have no indication the truck is about to fire. How much more cranking is typical at this point?

I did not remove or dissassemble the HPOP, reservoir, or IPR from the engine but the oil did get fairly well drained from all of the block rotating in order to install bearings, welded oil jets, rings/pistons, hone, etc.

Also I have had the AE connected to check things out: injector buzz test good, volts while cranking have been above 11, rpm about 140, ICP = 0psi, IPR % = 14 KOEO (off the top of my head I don't remember what happend while cranking). How long should it take before I start seeing ICP get above 0psi? Is there a quicker way to prime/purge the HP oil system? Maybe pull a galley plug in each head and at least fill the HP oil rail with oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The situation gets more dire After another fruitless evening of starting attempts here is what I have found:

I verified the HP oil system is getting oil by cracking a galley plug and oil seeped out, the HPOP reservoir is full of oil and stays full (remember to re-install the allen head plug before cranking the engine or everything near the front gets an oil bath --ask me how I know ) IPR duty cycle reads 14.84% at KOEO, climbs to about 64% during cranking and stays there for the duration of cranking. ICP sensor reads 0psi with ignition on and during cranking (after about 20+ cranking cycles I think I should see some kind of pressure here), I unplugged the sensor and AE says ICP is 2338psi during cranking. Does this sound like a possible bad ICP sensor?

Also did some more checks and came back with P0605 - Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error, I don't think I have ever got that code before but I did install a DP tuner during this adventure. Is it normal to see that with a chip installed or is it bad news?

I also got a code for the EBPV solenoid which I am not surprised about since that connector kind-of got smashed during engine removal or install and I was hoping it would still work and save me about $110. Apparently it doesn't, would that have anything to do with these start-up issues?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just to add some closure to this thread, the problem was missing HP oil galley plugs. Two of them inside the valve cover near the top of the head between first two injectors and last two injectors. The first rebuilt head that I installed had the plugs already installed so I didn't even think about it on the second head. After I installed the plugs, connected things back up and prefilled the HP oil galley it fired up in about 5 seconds.

Then I went to take it for the 40 mile drive to work all the air out of the system and the new Southbend clutch I installed would not release. It turns out that you have to use the Southbend solid flywheel with their clutch I guess. It doesn't work with a Valeo solid flywheel. So I changed back to the original Valeo clutch and am back on the road. FYI one person can change a clutch in a 4wd truck with two transmission jacks and air tools in less than 4 hours if you get the wife to help push, shove, wiggle, rotate, align, smash fingers, cuss, push some more for 20 minutes of getting the input shaft back through the friction disk splines and pilot bushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.