2001 7.3 engine replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 engine replacement

A friend of mine just got finished replacing the 7.3 in my 2001 supercab last week. The old engine was 150 psi or so low on compression on 1 cylinder. (Had a bad hose between air cleaner and turbo.) The engine we put in is out of a F450 with 160000 miles. He got it running and seems to have 1 cylinder with a miss. Lot of white smoke out of the exhaust. He used the injectors and glow plugs out of the old engine which have only 2000 miles on them. He buzz tested the injectors and they are good. Ohm checked all wires to injectors and apparently is ok. He gets a code for Injector drive module, but this was replaced last summer too, about 2500 miles on it. All the sensors were used off the original engine. Any good ideas? Main computer? He thought the main computer could be damaging the IDM?
The more money I have to spend on this truck the more I like my 92 6.5 chevy. Other than an engine at 300000 it is way more reliable than this Ford at 112000.
Why did it need the front axle totally redone at this low mileage? My Chevy didn't need anything until over 200000. I can't believe all this electrical crap on these Fords. If I ever get it running good it's going down the road. I've spent well over $6500 on this truck not including this engine.

Last edited by dragon71; 02-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a 01 DMAX and have at it, nothing's mechanical anymore if you want to compare get a 92 7.3 IDI
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve's red stroker View Post
Get a 01 DMAX and have at it, nothing's mechanical anymore if you want to compare get a 92 7.3 IDI
So tell me why the front end needed rebuilding so soon, and I know lots of Ford owners with the same problem.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I smell..... Troll....
Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Why don't you just answer my question?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon71 View Post
So tell me why the front end needed rebuilding so soon, and I know lots of Ford owners with the same problem.
All I'm sayin is a 6.5 is far from a 7.3 psd in technology, more comparable to a 7.3 IDI if you even want to say that. I've worked on 6.5 and 6.6 DMAX along with 7.3 and 6.0 and a6.5 is far from any of them that I listed
Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Sounds like bad hole
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve's red stroker View Post
All I'm sayin is a 6.5 is far from a 7.3 psd in technology, more comparable to a 7.3 IDI if you even want to say that. I've worked on 6.5 and 6.6 DMAX along with 7.3 and 6.0 and a6.5 is far from any of them that I listed
That question wasn't meant for you, it was for ToMang07.
I guess I'm just getting a little tired of pumping cash into this thing, which is why I didn't go for a reman engine. It will be a nice truck if I get it running decent. This blue smoke at idle is just bugging me. The truck didn't have an easy life before I got it. I may be able to get some of the money back on the engine if it's bad, but probably not any of the labor. This engine came out of a Caterpillar dealer service truck that got the cab tore off by a payloader. It probably had pretty good service coming from a diesel dealer. Maybe sitting around 2 years didn't help it any. I may try some Lucas Oil Stabilizer with the oil. It has CaseIH 10w30 oil in it for now. Maybe 15W40 will improve it? Don't mean to sound bit??y, just looking for advice. Thanks.

Last edited by dragon71; 02-07-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon71 View Post
That question wasn't meant for you, it was for ToMang07.
I guess I'm just getting a little tired of pumping cash into this thing, which is why I didn't go for a reman engine. It will be a nice truck if I get it running decent. This blue smoke at idle is just bugging me. The truck didn't have an easy life before I got it. I may be able to get some of the money back on the engine if it's bad, but probably not any of the labor. This engine came out of a Caterpillar dealer service truck that got the cab tore off by a payloader. It probably had pretty good service coming from a diesel dealer. Maybe sitting around 2 years didn't help it any. I may try some Lucas Oil Stabilizer with the oil. It has CaseIH 10w30 oil in it for now. Maybe 15W40 will improve it? Don't mean to sound bit??y, just looking for advice. Thanks.

Do NOT put lucas in it. It messes with the HUEI system.

I would do new fluids, and I would run 15-40.

Time to find a good scanner and see if anything comes up. Did you check compression before installing the new engine?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post

Do NOT put lucas in it. It messes with the HUEI system.

I would do new fluids, and I would run 15-40.

Time to find a good scanner and see if anything comes up. Did you check compression before installing the new engine?
We couldn't do the compression test, engine was already out when I bought it, should have done it though, I guess after installing and removing injectors. May still have to do that if it doesn't clear up.
I'll probably put some miles on it and go to 15W40 oil. He's using a Snap On scanner, not sure of the specifics on it.
Thanks1

Last edited by dragon71; 02-07-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.