Help with AE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with AE

My truck has been running really rough. I recently did all the fuel tank mods and it is still acting like its getting air. I ran a buzz test and all cylinders fired. On the contribution test the results were 1 at 1.5, 3 at 3.4, and 8 at 5.1. Any cause for concern or should I look elsewhere for my problems? I'm really thinking the gasket for the fuel filter might not be sealing properly and sucking in air through there. I have already replaced the lines from the tank to the fuel pump, do I need to go the rest of the way and is there a way to do that? Thanks for the help.

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkfalc View Post
My truck has been running really rough. I recently did all the fuel tank mods and it is still acting like its getting air. I ran a buzz test and all cylinders fired. On the contribution test the results were 1 at 1.5, 3 at 3.4, and 8 at 5.1. Any cause for concern or should I look elsewhere for my problems? I'm really thinking the gasket for the fuel filter might not be sealing properly and sucking in air through there. I have already replaced the lines from the tank to the fuel pump, do I need to go the rest of the way and is there a way to do that? Thanks for the help.

David
It wouldn't be sucking air from the fuel filter, it would be squirting/gushing out of it.

IF it's sucking air, it could be from the lines.

When you scanned it, did it come up with any codes? What about the CCT? (Codes?)

What are the symptoms?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just the codes for the contribution test on those three cylinders and a p0476. I have to push the pedal in all the way to get it started and then it surges and idles until its warmed up. I had the oil changed before I did the fuel tank mods and before it got cold. I'm wondering if the wrong oil was used and its just having trouble getting the injectors going.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
P0476{2}
EBP Pressure Above/Below Desired

P0476{3}
EP Control Valve Performance
Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page

I'd start by checking the sensor/tube for blockages.

Then, did you use AE to do a KOER Glow Plug System Check?

If it's having problems starting when cold.... does it make any difference if it's plugged in first?

Any smoke when starting? Color?

when you ran the KOEO tests, was the engine cold? (Sat at least over night?)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I didn't check the glow plug system, but it was in the mid 60s so I didn't think it needed it. My truck doesn't have a block heater. People swear up and down they all had them but I've looked all over for the thing. As for the final test it hadn't been started since the day before.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I think all the motors were built with the heater. You just need to buy the cord . Ebay has a ton of them. Your should see it in the block near the oil filter.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
I think all the motors were built with the heater. You just need to buy the cord . Ebay has a ton of them. Your should see it in the block near the oil filter.
Yeah, unless it was removed by a PO, it is there somewhere.... Look around inside the bumper, behind the driver's side tow hook. Worse case look above your oil filter, that's where the block heater is and follow the orange cable coming out of it back to the front.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good news, I have an engine block heater! Bad news, more problems! Changed the oil and the truck started right up. Took for a test drive. Cruising good around 55mph. Got up on the highway and got on and it immediately acted like it had no fuel and died. Pulled to the side of the road, let it cool down. Went to start it and got a real loud grinding noise before it started. Drove home at 55mph no problem. Let it cool down and got under there and the starter had come loose. Tightened it up and tried to start it. Clatter and spin. Removed the starter. Looks like there are five teeth in a row half gone! The teeth on the starter are smoothed down about an 1/8 inch maybe a bit more. Not sure if thats normal or not. Can I get by with a new starter or is the flywheel going to have to be changed also? I was hoping on trading up this next week so I wasn't wanting to throw a whole lot of money at it! Hope y'all can help.

Thanks, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.