Hard start, smoke when runs. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard start, smoke when runs.

OK guys heres my problem. The '02 F-350 truck I have is giving me fits. P-1316 is the only code I'm getting besides the one that pops up after you disconect the batteries. We went in and checked the inj. harnesses and both were unplugged some what and one of the tabs were broke. So installed two new v/c gsk's. and inj. harnesses and still same problem. Hard to start, and no power. Smokes really bad trying to start and when it finally does fire up it still smokes some, just doesn't ever clear up. Still misses and wont rev. past about 1500rpm. I have a 2000 truck equipped the same way, 7.3, auto, 4:10 L/S rear. I have swapped the PCM, and the IDM between the trucks and nothing changes on the '02. The '00 is parked since theres only two of us no need to use the other truck(batteries dead, tags exp,no ins) so I haven't tried to start the '00 with any of my swapping parts but it ran perfectly when it was parked last spring.

Anyway I'm fixing to check wires from the IDM to the inj. to see if there is a short, I found a thread showing the pin locations and such to verify that all is good with the harness. About all that is left is Injectors themselves. I have a friend that has a snap-on scanner that will do a buzz test but he doesn't no how, can anybody walk me thru it to see if one is bad before I take it to Ford for a raping? We ran a diagnostic test on it and it showed a misfire on #2 and #8. Unless its something the IDM harness looks like I need two injectors. Thanks to all who can help this truck has been down for a week, its costing me money two ways now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck is fixed and running!

Well come to find out one of the harnesses that I bought to replace was DEFECTIVE!
The more I checked things it didn't make sence. I kept coming up with a short(ground). Finally found the harness I put on the driver side was pinching the wires from the back injector(#8) to the glow plug wire of the next cyl.(#6) together and causing the short. They were pinched at the point where they went into the plug and the housing was crimped together. Went back and swapped the harness and put the truck back together for the third time and she runs great. Started right up cleared out the smoke within just a few seconds and ran great. Now things can get back to normal....somewhat!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.