New Here with Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Here with Problems

I`ve had a few 7.3 idi powered Ford`s,but picked up my first 7.3 Powerstroke yesterday. It is a 2000 E350 van with 240k on it. I wasn`t afraid of the mileage. It seemed to run well,just slightly rough before it warmed up. It smoothed out,and I test drove it and all seemed ok.

I get it home,and go to take it for a ride a little later and it seemed to run a little rougher again,and was down on power. The CEL did not come on,and is/was not burned out.

Today I went to start it and it took forever to get it fired,and when it finally did fire it ran very rough for a while,eventually smoothing out little by little,but never all the way. It did not however run as well as did yesterday,and struggled to go upto even 20mph. Still no CEL.

After some research online I pulled it inside and pulled the driver side valve cover off and found the UVCH was a lil loose. I fired it up and it seemed to run slightly better,still no CEL light.

I then spent 2-hours removing the pass side valve cover,and found that the harness on that side was also loose. It seemed to start a little easier,and seemed to run a bit smoother yet. But now the CEL is on.

It still runs slightly on the rough side,and still seems a lil down on a power,but is running better then it was.

Before I start throwing money at this thing (which I honestly can not afford to do),what would you guys replace first if you were in my shoes?

I am thinking the UVCH & VC Gaskets on both sides and go from there.

Last edited by FoMoCoPower; 01-18-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Well I would get it scanned since you now have a cel. I would also change the oil and fuel filter.

Sent from my ADR6300
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah,my buddy is bringing his scan tool home with him today. And was going to do the fuel filter while I`m in there.

It was sitting for atleast a year,it had over a half tank in it. I put a bottle of fuel additive in it (forget what kind). Might go get some new fuel for it today aswell.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

P1272
P1670
P0603
P1316
P0478
P0470
Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

P0470 - Exhaust back pressure sensor circuit malfunction - Biased sensor, open signal return
P0478 - Exhaust pressure control valve high input - Plugged sensor line, stuck butterfly, restricted exhaust
P0603 - Internal control module KAM error - Open PCM pin, disconnect B+, faulty PCM
P1272 - P1271 - P1278 - High to low side open cyl. # 1-8 - Open circuit, open injector, failed IDM
P1316 - Injector circuit/IDM codes detected - Injector circuit failure/IDM codes detected
P1670 - EF signal not detected - Open/shorted EF circuit

Not sure what all that means, but put it in so others wouldn't have to look it up!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well,some big progress...while trying to test the ohm`s on the injectors I discovered that the harness was not plugged into the #2 injector...runs much smoother now.

The UVCH`s were a bit loose when I first checked them,so I think I am going to buy the new harness` and valve cover gaskets.

Has anyone ever seen an injector unplug itself???
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok,I have been working on it on/off for the past week or so.

I replaced the cps,both uvch`s, (glow plugs since I was in there),fuel filter,drained the fuel tank/replaced with fresh fuel,fixed broken/loose starter cable,and changed oil/filter.

It runs better,but still has a slightly rough idle at times,and bogs/stumbles on acceleration and blows white smoke out of the exhaust while doing so.

The CEL is no longer on,but when scanned it still gives:

P1670
P0603
P1316
P0478
P0480

From what I can tell,I need to clean or replace the EBP sensor/tube to take care of P0480/P0478

The other three I believe are pointing towards IDM issues. Do you guys think I need to replace the IDM? The injectors all OHM tested good,but I know that doesn`t rule them out entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.