7.3 down and racking up a bill quick. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 down and racking up a bill quick.

I was on my way home yesterday morning and all of a sudden it started missing hard and died out refusing to run. I coasted into a parking lot and deternined I had fuel to the filter bowl, number 30 fuse was good oil good and just under a1/4 tank of fuel (plenty). I drained the fuel bowl and ran the pump for a bit in an effort to clean any water or debris in the fuel out then repressurised and actually got it to start but it would barely pull its self. I felt lucky cause I was less than a block from the dealership I bought the truck from.

I got it to the lot and waited for them to open. They found that the injector control module was bad and replaced it after test driving they found that there was a loose wire under the valve cover and it was secured and repaired. Or so I thought.

I picked the truck up today, started right up but sounded a bit rough but it was cold. I gave it a few min and started out of the lot as I got on the main road it would shutter continue to run but bog down waiting at a light like it was going to quit. I managed to get turned around and get it back to the dealership where it would barely move around the lot. The mis in at least 2 cylinders is obvious and it is there waiting for morning.

I am already down 360.00 for the diagnosis and the replacement of a ICM that I got from a buddy (another 100.00 to pay out) and i am barely ahead of where I was. Now back for a second day in the shop and I am running out of funds.

Can anyone provide any guidance regarding where to go with this? I am really in trouble and in need of some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try the cps (cam position sensor).
Very common prob and about as you discribed.
should be about 20 bucks and only a few min to change.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Sounds like the dealer threw a part at it and doesn't really know.
Put a full tank of fuel in it. Just to be sure that it isn't sucking air or something like that. The fuel pickup foot might be clogged.
They need, or you need, to check fuel pressure and make sure it's putting out enough.
I'd also check the UVCHs. They said the fixed one loose connection but there may be more.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Would the fuel pressure show up on the computerized testing? Diddnt know if the 7.3 gave readings like that.

The paperwork I had listed a code and read that it indicated a bad controller. The put in the 2000 model I aquired and now it will run but not well. I agree it seems like it is an electrical problem. Maybee the other set of wires on the other bank?

Not saying the fuel pickup isint clogged because it certainly could be but I ran the tank down below the red line earlier in the day without issue, while not smart it did ok. i put 30.00 in fuel which put it up over the 1/4 tank mark and ran it to work. it was right after work, wasnt weven warm when it quit working.

One thing that is odd about it though is when I was trying to get it running I put about 4 gallons of fuel in it. I then ran the pump with the drain open for a bit and then it would start and run with very little power. That was when I limped it to the dealership and dropped it off.
Thanks for the recomendations. I was thinking to toss a CPS at it just because I know they go bad.
Sorry to be the charity case here but I am about to be in a tight spot paying a dealership to work on this thing.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
Would the fuel pressure show up on the computerized testing? Diddnt know if the 7.3 gave readings like that. No, have to hook one up to the fuel bowl.

The paperwork I had listed a code and read that it indicated a bad controller. The put in the 2000 model I aquired and now it will run but not well. I agree it seems like it is an electrical problem. Maybee the other set of wires on the other bank?

An IDM code can come up even if it's something else.

Not saying the fuel pickup isint clogged because it certainly could be but I ran the tank down below the red line earlier in the day without issue, while not smart it did ok. i put 30.00 in fuel which put it up over the 1/4 tank mark and ran it to work. it was right after work, wasnt weven warm when it quit working.

One thing that is odd about it though is when I was trying to get it running I put about 4 gallons of fuel in it. I then ran the pump with the drain open for a bit and then it would start and run with very little power. So the pump sounded weak or the flow of diesel? On mine, if the filter is out and the bowl empty, I can turn the key on and with just one cycle, the bowl will fill up almost perfectly. If you pull the filter, drain it, and turn the key on and it flows slow, doesn't fill a lot, then the fuel pickup maybe clogged. Especially if you ran it down super low earlier in the day. If you can get the truck to run perfect off a can of diesel that the pump is sucking out of, then I'd bet it's in the tank. Cheap enough to do yourself, and easy too. Someone might be even close enough to give you a hand.
Replied in red.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM

I agree about the problems in the tank.

Check fuel pressure and flow.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks will give the fuel can a try as well as cleaning the filter
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Well got a call this morning, needs a new fuel pump. Amazing missed that originally.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Something might've got sucked into the pump when it was almost run dry. You may still wanna drop the tank. But you can do that, it's not hard.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 AM

They dropped the tank as part of the troubleshooting. Was clean and nothing broken. They were nervous with it being under 1/4 tank of fuel. Usually there is at least 40 miles of fuel before I get nervous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.