Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo swap

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  blacksmoke powerstroke 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum, I usually search forums till i find what i need but this is just one i keep hitting dead ends on. My stock turbo on my early 99 went out due to 377,000 miles. I have come across a deal i can get a 02 stock turbo for $100.00. from what i understand i have to change the manifold, up pipes, pedistal, spyder, and phlems. Those parts would cost me another $100.00. Would someone please confirm this or point me in a better direction. Money is tight and i need my truck to go to work. Thanks

#2 ·
I know you will have to change the pedestal.

I don't think you would have to change the plenums, or manifold.

How many miles on the 02? $100 is pretty cheap IMO. If you could get the rest of the parts for another $100, that's still cheap. (compared to a new one) I think it would take a while to find a good E99 turbo.

#4 ·
I would at least grab the turbo, pedestal, and up pipes. Check for any movement in the turbo, but at 140k it shouldn't be bad. The E99 pipes are a little different, but I don't know how much different they are. If it's cheap, just so you don't have to make a second trip I would grab the spider and plenums. (I really don't know if you need them or not) The 99.5+ plenums are 3" instead of 2" on the E99/OBS 7.3s.

#8 ·
Really not sure what to do... I need the truck running yesterday, but i dont wanna rush and buy something i ll regret. I wanna upgrade turbos and injectors later with big oil. Would i be better to go ahead and convert to late 99. From what i understand there are only a few options for an upgrade turbo for early 99. also are the up pipes a pain to get off and put on? I m a 100% diy er, i worked on gas burners all my life but this is my first diesel to own and work on. Could someone with a good knowledge base please point in the direction...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.